Please can someone outline clearly what are the differences and benefits of surgical vaginoplasty against laser tightening?

more specifically i want to know the difference if any of depth of tightening the surgical tightening offers 3-4cm from the entrance tightened as well as the entrance of the vagina and some surgeons will perform perineoplasty for no extra charge. with laser tightening will the tightening be more or less or the same amount and if opting for laser will i need to seek perineoplasty separately? which one is most effective at tightening?

Vaginoplasty (Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation, LVR) versus Laser Tightening (LVT)

This is a question that comes up frequently.

Many new procedures are being marketed as nonsurgical alternatives. Here's the lowdown:

Femilift, the Mona Lisa Touch, and the IntimaLase procedures are nonsurgical laser procedures that treat the skin of the vaginal canal. They use the same technology of fractional laser skin peeling used for the face. These procedures are examples of laser vaginal tightening (LVT) - actually laser vaginal skin tightening.

When the vagina loosens after childbirth, it's the muscles that have loosened. The skin stretches too, but the distances between the levator muscles (Kegel muscles) and the muscles of perineum is commonly permanently widened. In addition, the attachments of pelvic floor muscles, the bladder, and the rectum can become damaged. Procedures generally known as vaginoplasty and pelvic floor reconstruction are designed to fix the damage, tighten the muscles, and tighten the skin to create a long lasting and effective  solution. LVT, cures none of these things. It's designed to provide a mild superficial and temporary shrink to the vaginal skin only, not the muscles and not to damage to the pelvic floor. It's a trade-off. If you want something nonsurgical with no downtime that's less expensive, that yields milder, temporary results, then LVT might be your thing. For my patients, the decision process is similar to choosing between Botox and a facelift. They both improve wrinkles, but one requires a much larger commitment of time, courage and dollars. I offer both options in my center and my patients appreciate the opportunity to explore all of their alternatives.

#Vaginoplasty, #LaserVaginalRejuvenation, #Thermiva, #MonaLisaTouch

The surgical procedure, Vaginoplasty, in many cases, can increase friction during intercourse, giving women more control of vaginal muscles, increasing sexual satisfaction, while also creating a more attractive and appealing appearance to the vaginal area.
The outcome of a Labiaplasty is a more youthful appearance, ability to wear all types of clothing without discomfort and/or embarrassment, and a more confident sex life.
Procedure Description

During the Vaginoplasty, the surgeon removes a segment of the vaginal lining and repositions the underlying muscles, resulting in noticeably tight inner and outer vaginal walls

Lasers or radio frequency treatments noted above seem to get similar results,  RF can also treat the Labia.
Usually three treatments are needed then yearly maintenance.  Costs can be similar

Surgery can tighten, regardless of the method. Non-surgical laser tightening, not so much.

You can receive vaginoplasty with or without a laser. Personally I perform Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation as well as other cosmetic vaginal procedures using a laser. I also perform many of them without a laser as well. I use the tools that are appropriate for the patient's case.

When I perform surgical vaginoplasty, I usually close the vaginal opening to a rough estimate of the patient's desired size. I do not measure the amount of closure, instead I discuss what size my patient would like her opening to be. Depending on the patient's condition this may or may not include perineoplasty as well as other cosmetic procedures, such as labial shaping.

Laser tightening is a term that can mean laser surgery to some, but I believe that you are referring to a "surface treatment" using a laser (usually a fractional laser) to tighten the vagina.

I have a MonaLisa Touch in my office and use it daily. It is not a vaginal tightening device (and neither are the other fractional lasers). You will receive minimal change to your vaginal opening from treatment with these devices.

What the MonaLisa Touch is good for is treating the tissue inside of your vagina (the vaginal mucosa). Specifically treating vaginal atrophy, a condition that mainly occurs in women after menopause or cancer treatment, but can occur at other times as well. The MonaLisa Touch is a painless treatment and it significantly reduces the symptoms of vaginal atrophy, including:
  • Vaginal itching
  • Vaginal dryness
  • Pain during intercourse
  • Vaginal laxity
Additionally, patients have experienced relief to secondary symptoms such as urinary incontinence.

Ultimately, because it does provide a reduction in vaginal laxity due to atrophy, some feel that it can be represented as a vaginal tightening treatment. This is only the case for that specific type of laxity which is mainly inside of the vagina. If your laxity is due to trauma/stretching, then you will most-likely not receive any significant improvement.

Laser vaginoplasty

Vaginal tightening does not necessarily mean that you need lasr, or that laser tightens the vaginal canal any better.  Most of the benefit is from the careful suturing of the muscles in the area, which does not involve the laser at all. Visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs vaginoplasty and review all yorurquestions. Below is an example of a patient who had both vaginoplasty and labiaplasty. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Surgical vs Laser Vaginoplasty

Well the truth is there is no real difference other than the initial incision is made with either a scalpel ("surgical") or a laser. After that the surgery proceeds as usual. Read on for more general information:

Vaginal Rejuvenation (a.k.a. vaginoplasty) is performed to reconstruct (more or less tighten) the vaginal vault most commonly following natural vaginal birth. Again, like most other surgery, the experience of and “attention to detail” (a.k.a. compulsiveness) by the surgeon is the most important element to achieving a good result. Although there is some merit to Kegal exercises, many patients with laxity after natural vaginal birth fail to obtain sufficient tightening. For these patients, vaginoplasty, tightening of the vaginal vault muscles from the introits (opening) up to the cervix is typically the best solution. The procedure is commonly done on an outpatient basis in about an hour under either deep intravenous sedation or general anesthesia. Recovery is gradual but probably the worst for the first 4-5 days until swelling starts to reside then patients feel better each day thereafter. Sexual activity is usually refrained for about 6 weeks. In a study I was involved in back in 2009, 87% of vaginoplasty patients were satisfied with their results and had an improved sexual experience post-operatively. Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $8500. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD