Odd bump on incision after breast reduction. Concerned it is an infection or is not healing well/proper? (Photos)

I am about 3 1/2 weeks post op breast reduction. Yesterday I noticed under my right breast at the very end of the incision line there was a small bump. It is not red, or irritated. But I am worried it will heal this way. Should I be concerned? Is there anyway I can reverse so it lies down properly? What did I do to cause it to puff up? Please help!

Abnormal scar after breast reduction

Hello and thank you for the question. Given the timeline of the presentation ( that being only 3 1/2 weeks out from surgery), this is likely skin bunching and/or swelling, which will more than likely resolve over time. It does not look infected. I recommend keeping an eye on it and bring it to the attention of your surgeon during your next visit. If it does not resolve after a years time, a simple scar revision would correct the issue.Warmest Regards,Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Odd bump on incision after breast reduction

Thank you for your question and it is too early to tell how you are going to heal.  I would recommend you start using scar creams or silicon sheeting for six months.  After six months if a revision is needed your surgeon can do this under local.  I would keep in contact with him or her so any other treatments that maybe needed can be done during the healing period.  I would encourage you to have patients and follow your doctors recommendations.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Bump on incision

Good Afternoon, thank you for your question and pictures. I recommend you to see your board certified surgeon in order to evaluate you, It doesn't see infected, however it's a possibility as well as a possible suture protrusion, this can usually be treated with topical antibiotics and observation. I'm sure your surgeon can help you.

Rafael Gottenger, MD