Over 10 weeks post op. Is this necrosis? (Photo)

Noticed this little black spot on my incision today. I'm not sure if this is the beginning of necrosis, or a spit stitch or an ingrown hair. But it is flapped a little weird, and scary as crap.

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Question of Post-Op Necrosis

While there is a possibility of either split stitch or necrosis, it would probably be the best thing to contact your surgeon in person to have the area evaluated. Then it would be determined by the doctor as to whether the healing process is going well.

See your surgeon

Please check with your surgeon as your surgeon is the best person to answer that question. Without knowing your medical history it is difficult to help you. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your photographs and question.  This area appears to be a spitting suture and I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  They can help remove the offending stitch before it creates a more inflamed appearance.  Congratulations on your surgery!

Spot on incision ten weeks after surgery

Thank you for asking about your surgical incision. The good news - you do not have necrosis. You appear to have a suture coming to the surface. Let your surgeon know and ask to be seen. The area will heal rapidly once the suture is removed. Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Skin necrosis?

The photograph that you have submitted demonstrates an appearance consistent with what is known as a suture granuloma or abscess. If it continues to drain and does not resolve on its own, occasionally a small exploration under local anesthetic will retrieve the foreign body responsible and alleviate the problem. This is definitely not skin necrosis and is no cause for alarm.

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Dr Derby

It looks more like a suture that has not been removed or absorbed, no stress, for the rest all looks fine. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Over 10 weeks post op. Is this necrosis?

From your photos, this area does not appear to be skin necrosis.  You may  have a subcutaneous suture which has not fully absorbed and may have become irritated.  This is not a serious situation, but check back with your surgeon.  If it is a suture, they may want to remove it.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Not necrosis

Thank you for the question and photo. Rest assured that is not necrosis.  Necrosis is tissue death from inadequate blood supply.  This usually happens early on after a tummy tuck usually in the first week or so.  What you are seeing is likely either an ingrown hair or a suture knot as you have stated.  Not much is needed to take of this.  Keeping it uncovered and monitoring it is likely all that is needed.

Happy healing.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

In my opinion this isn't anything to worry about it. It is most likely a stitch. When you have your next follow up visit show your surgeon and perhaps he may open that slightly if it is not healing over time. It does not appear to be necrosis from I can tell. However, always best to send a photo to your surgeon's nurse if you are worried about something on your incision. We get patient photos all the time and are always happy to look but always best to see in person. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon