Does antibiotics and a root canal take care of a cavity under a veneer? Can reinfection occur?

Six Vaneers installed Upper Front Teeth March 2016. One front tooth got infected in july 2016. months. Dr. Gave antibiotics and week later did root canal. Did not remove the veneer to address the cavity that was supposed to have been taken care of before the veneer was installed. Can re-infection occur? Was this properly done? Should the doctor had remove the veneer to address the cavity? Concerned that root canal only addressed the symptoms and not the problem.

Cavity, root canal and #veneer #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
The need for a root canal does not necessarily mean that the tooth has decay (a cavity).  A root canal is performed when the pulp (nerve of the tooth) becomes infected or damaged. During a root canal, the nerve is removed, and the inside of the tooth is cleaned and sealed. Unfortunately, because I don't know the specifics of your case, I can't say if your veneer will need to be replaced. I would recommend following up with your dentist/dental office to have your concerns addressed.  Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100