Roughly how much tissue is removed to go from a (very full) 36DDD to a C+ or D cup? (Photos)

I have always had large breasts, but after pregnancies and breast feeding, they have become even larger. It's been a year since I've nursed, and my breasts have still not gone back. I have gained and lost weight, but my breasts have stayed a constant 36DDD. If I am undergoing an insurance covered reduction, is it standard to have the lift covered within that same surgery?

Hi. Not having the actual photos of your breast limits the assessment. Insurance companies require lots and lots of documentation in order for them to even consider paying for a breast reduction. Some insurance companies actually exclude breast reduction as a covered procedure. If it's a covered procedure then pre-op photos need to be submitted. The patient must have had a prior history of a year's worth of conservative therapy by their private doctor, frequentky insurance companies will require that you have also established a medical record with either an orthopedic surgeon or chiropractor documenting your sympoms and most important is that a minimum of 500 grams must be removed at the time of surgery. This simply means that unless you have enough tissue they will not even consider it. A letter from an insurance company that it's a covered procedure does not necessarily mean that they will pay for it. Depending on an insurance company to pay for your breast reduction is like spinning the roulette wheel.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in cosmetic breast surgery. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office, as in others, we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. The surgen can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up. Good luck,Dr. PG

Yes, the reduction includes a lift.  You could have as much as 1000-1200 gm removed during the procedure to go down to a D cup size.  Best wishes, Dr. T.

Roughly how much tissue is removed to go from a (very full) 36DDD to a C+ or D cup?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Keep in mind that when a breast reduction procedure is performed, a breast lift is "automatically" performed as well.  In other words, the results of surgery are: smaller breasts sitting higher on a patient's chest wall. There is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery. Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon (who you should choose very carefully). Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso.  With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  For example, I have found that the use of words such as “proportionate” or “C+ or D cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  Once you have communicated your goals carefully, your plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with an estimation of how much tissue will need to be removed, in order to achieve your desired outcome. Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

Breast reduction, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. After having analyzed all the information provided to us, i can realize that you have very large breasts for your height and weight, and can be responsible for head, back, neck and shoulder pain. In the future may cause  permanent osteo-articular damage in the back and shoulders and skin problems (mainly under the breasts). For for this reasons, certainly you need a breast reduction surgery.Kind regardsDr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Very hard to answer without better posted photos! But on average at least 600 to 1,000 grams per side. Most insurers cover if not a restriction in the signed policy to having Reductions. Reductions by definition is a lift with removal of breast skin and fat and gland...