Will rhinoplasty and chin implant work for me? Looking to slim and define bridge and tip of my nose. (Photo)

I've always felt like my face wasn't proportionate, mostly due to the fact that I have a short, wide, undefined nose. I have been reluctant to have surgery done out of fear of getting the "Michael Jackson" lok. Would being able to achieve a slimmer more feminine, defined nose be realistic or is there too much altering that would need to be done? Also would a chin implant help make my face look more proportionate? I am in search of a great surgeon in the state of Florida and willing to travel.

Rhinoplasty and chin implant

Thank you for your question and for posting photos. Based on your photos you would benefit from a rhinoplasty to narrow the nasal bones, refine the tip, slightly lengthen the nose, and add volume to the columella (the area between the nostrils). You would also benefit from a chin implant to add balance between the nose and chin.

With that said, formulating a full plan for your specific needs requires in-person consultation. I recommend you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is experienced in rhinoplasty.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose, chin

The most obvious problem, to me is the receding chin. You will benefit greatly from a chin implant.

Your nose has a few issues. Firstly the columella is retracted. It need to be lowered with a cartilage graft holding it in the new postion.

The tip is broad but,  I cannot be sure that the width is due to wide cartilages or thick skin. That is decided at examination.

In any event, a tip graft can project the tip a bit and give some refinement to the tip.

Also, I would guess that the tip cartilages would benefit from some reduction and narrowing.

The bony dorsum is wide and an osteotomy may help

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Chin and nose

The nose has no columellar show and hence looks short. A cartilage implant in the columella will help. The bones and tip also needs to be narrowed to improve the definition. 

Chin implant will help but is not critical as your chin is not too small.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so they can perform a nasal examination and give you the best options. From what I can tell in your photo, you would benefit from a rhinoplasty to thin out the bridge of the nose and a tip rhinoplasty to reduce the size of the tip of your nose. This includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and proportional to the rest of your face. I would suggest having your rhinoplasty done first then once you have healed, deciding whether you still want to consider having a chin augmentation as you may not feel it is necessary once the proportions of your nose have been changed. Best of luck in your endeavors.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin implant

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a chin implant.  I always recommend a medpor implant with screw fixation.  Silicone chin implants have a higher rate of malposition over time.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD