What's the best treatment for my open wound? (Photo)

Hi I have A small separation in the very middle of my tummy tuck incision. My doc said to do the wet and dry dressing 3 times a day. But he did not give me antibiotic. It does not have odor and I do not have a fever. Is this normal to happen and is the care that he described is correct? I'm so afraid of it getting worse. I'll be 4 weeks post op this coming Thursday the 15th. I don't feel pain because I'm so numb still. Thank you for your replies.

Wound care

Best to keep the wound moist with antibiotic ointment.  You may ask your surgeon about possibly debriding it to remove any nonviable tissue.  This may accelerate the healing.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Open wound after TT

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon these small wound healing issues after TT. You need a local wound care which is what you are getting form your PS. Antibiotics are not necessary always. Please follow instructions from your PS

Open TT wound

moisten but dont soak the dressings , let them dry, then gently remove and change it. This should heal up without a problem and I dont think you need an antibiotic at this time.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Wound breakdown after TT

This is a common area of wound breakdown after TT surgery. It sounds like your surgeon has recommended traditional wound care instructions that typically work very well. The wound keeps clean with this technique and should not have an odor(as you stated). It will heal over time, then at some point further along when the skin has some slight laxity again, this small area of widened scar can simply be excised to obtain a more acceptable scar.

What's the best treatment for my open wound?

Appears as minor skin edge issue that wound care will help resolve. If you desire t speed up the process than PRP Infusion Therapy wth Red Laser light does quicken the healing. But the fees per session is $500. At least 4 to 8 sessions are needed...

You have a minor wound separation

your doctor is handling this well. unless you get an infection (this did not necessarily happen because of an infection but rather a lack of blood supply and tension to the area) you do not need antibiotics.this happens sometimes to every PS who does a number of TT. If drs tell you that it has never happened to them, then they have not done many TT. try and not worry. It should heal up quite nicely. it may take several weeks so you need to be patient.hang in there.david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Small separation after TT

Your early result looks very encouraging. Small separations like the one in your picture are quite common. At present there are no obvious signs of infection so antibiotics are not necessary. If you take antibiotics you will cause the bacteria that colonise the wound to become resistant to that antibiotic. If you then get an infection it will be more difficult to treat.I would take your PS advice with dressings and usually these will heal up a couple of weeks. If it shows signs of getting worse then you should go back to your plastic surgeon.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon

Wound dehiscence

You don't need an antibiotic.  Dressings like the one described are a good choice.  You will need for the surgeon to slowly over weeks remove the dead tissue.  This can happen after tummy tuck.  Hyperbaric oxygen would help.