I am scheduled for a mommy makeover in 5 weeks. My surgery is in the doctors accredited OR. Should I be concern?

One of the partners at my firm is concerned about my well being as the sx is in the doctors accredited OR. He feels I should be in a hospital. Is this something I should be concerned about?? Thanks for any insight.

Mommy makeover usually done outpatient

The key word is accreditation, which holds a doctor's private surgical facility to the same standards of safety as a hospital. For very long procedures (more than 6 hours) it may not be ideal but a mommy makeover should be easily completed in 3-5 hours. As some of the other replies have pointed out, hospitals are full of sick people, while a private facility specializing in cosmetic plastic surgery would provide specific expertise, greater privacy, and a more personalized experience.

Seek a Board Certified Surgeon for Your Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. The costs of a #Mommy Makeover will depend on several factors. Such include the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees.  Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time. 
Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Most likely you should not have concerns.  There are a couple of different agencies that accredit Operating rooms.  Clearly make sure it is currently accredited.  Many of us perform surgery in accredited facilities as well as in the hospital setting.  There are benefits to each.
Wishing you all the best.
Garrett A. Wirth, MD, MS, FACS
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Accredited OR is SAFE

It is safe to have surgery at the doctor's accredited OR. In order to be an accredited facility, the OR has to meet very strict standards and regulations. Just ask your surgeon for the exact accreditation so that you can confirm it is in fact accredited.

When possible, I actually prefer using a smaller accredited OR or out-patient surgery center because we are able to provide patients with more personalized care in a safe and controlled environment. Some of the benefits of outpatient surgery centers include:

• I work with the same team of nurses and assistants in every surgery, which reduces both the length of the surgery and the time under anesthesia.
  • Small surgery center reduces the chances of a surgery being delayed, as is seen often at hospitals. 
  • Sick/ill patients are not coming to the surgery center like they would be at a hospital, lowering risk of infections.

Good luck with your surgery!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Is Accredited O.R. OK for Mommy Makeover?

Yes, an accredited O.R. has met stringent standards to become accredited. Hospitals can be prohibitively expensive for surgery not covered by insurance. My local hospital charges $32,400 for use of the operating room for a two-hour aesthetic procedure, excluding anesthesia and surgeon fees. 

Find out the accrediting agency for your surgeon's facility and look at their website. Click on the link below for my surgical facility's accrediting agency, AAAASF.

All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Is surgery center surgery ok for mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over

• Your surgery does not need to be done in a hospital.
  • Infection rates are lower in surgery centers.

• The Accreditation should be by the AAAASF, the AAAHC or the JAHCO.

• Your surgery should not be planned for longer than 6 hours.

• Ask about your anesthesia - an MD anesthesiologist should be on-site for your safety in my opinion.
  • Accreditation may only require that an anesthesiologist be available.
Discuss these issues with your surgeon before surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Accreditation

You should confirm that your plastic surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  In addition, only have your procedure done in a fully accredited surgical facility.  This can be an accredited office-based surgical facility, and ambulatory surgery center, or a hospital.   A recognized national accreditation organization is the AAAASF - The American Association for the Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities.   This organization certified the quality and safety standard at facilities that achieve accreditation status.   Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options. 

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Accredited OR or hospital or a mommy makeover?

Personally, I perform all of my surgeries in a hospital setting.  However, it is more important that you know why your doctor does not use a hospital, and make sure that he is board-certified in plastic surgery and is not another type of specialist who is just performing plastic surgery.

Cosmetic surgery in a surgicenter

I typically take cases longer than 3 hours to a hospital.  This way, I can monitor their vital signs and fluids overnight.

There are several issues in proceding with a Mommy Makeover: 1) Combining cosmetic plastic surgery procedures in a Mommy Makeover is not uncommon. Whether you are a reasonable candidate for those procedures depends on your anatomy, your medical history, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures. 2) As far as the facility, the safety rate in a facility accredited by the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) in the appropriate patient compares favorably with surgery performed in a hospital and has been well documented as well as having been published in the scientific literature.

Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the national organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or in a licensed hospital. Many surgeons would recommend an overnight stay at an appropriate facility where you can be appropriately monitored. Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective.

Keep in mind that following the advice of any surgeon on this or any other web site who proposes to tell you what to do without: examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, and taking a full medical history, as well as discussing the pros and cons of each operative option would not be in your best interest. I would suggest your plastic surgeon be certified  by The American Board of Plastic Surgeryand ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with, You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. 

Before proceeding with a combination of these procedures, you should have medical clearance from your primary care physician and a discussion between him or her and your plastic surgeon.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon