I was interested in a BBL and a BA to be completed in one procedure....but I'm experiencing different answers....

Why do doctors like to do the procedures separately? Is it a risk to have it completed at the same time?

BBA and BBL Combined

Hi and thanks for the question. There is a slightly increased risk of having any combined procedure. But as long as the BBL and BA are performed in a timely manner and the patient is healthy enough for surgery, this is a combination of procedures that I commonly perform together. Best of luck - Dr Hardy...

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

I think there are some downsides and risk involved with doing BBL and breast augmentation at the same time

While it seems logical that we would be able to do both procedures at the same time and under one general anesthetic, I don't think that is the best way to do things.  There are some increases in risk and potential negative effects on the long term results of either procedure doing it that way.  In order to do your breast augmentation, we have to position you on your back in the supine position.  This will work also for any liposuction necessary to sculpt the abdomen and/or harvest fat for the BBL.  In order to do your BBL, we need to have you laying either in the prone position on your tummy (and breasts), or in a side-laying position, called lateral decubitus.  In the case of decubitus, since we would want to inject both sides of the buttocks, we would need to lay you first on one side, then on the other to do this.  In my opinion, trying to do things this way significantly impacts risk during surgery, risk of complications after surgery, and it also significantly decreases predictability of the procedures and increases the chances that our results may not turn out the way we want them.  Laying you on your chest after breast augmentation to complete the BBL part of the case can increase the risk of bleeding problems, displacement of implants, injury to blood supply of the weakened tissues of the breast and nipple due to increased pressure, and several other things.  Yet, laying you on your back (and buttocks) after BBL in order to then accomplish the breast augmentation can impact how much of the transferred fat will take.  As you may know, most of us have our patients wear special compression garments after BBL which are designed to keep pressure off of the buttocks and the transferred fat, and we have our patients avoid activities like sitting or laying directly on their buttocks for several weeks after the procedure to protect the fat, and thus the result.  It makes no sense then that we would do a BBL and then immediately transfer you to a position for a minimum of 1 1/2 to 2 hours (not just actual time for the surgeon to do the breast augmentation surgery, but also the time that you would have to be laying like that just to get things set up beforehand and then dressings and garments/bra on in order to transfer you off of the table afterward) that would negatively impact the survival of our fat graft.  The same sort of goes for the lateral decubitus (side-laying) idea too, as you would have to go side to side in order to treat each side.  Additionally, that really distorts the buttocks with gravity and padding, and I think it's harder to plan the accurate shaping and volumization of the buttocks that way.  Some doctors may recommend doing these procedures together and using some type of padding in the operating room in an attempt to avoid the effects of pressure that I have described above; I don't recommend this either.  It changes how we do the procedure, and it's just forcing a "square peg into a round hole," if you ask me.  I personally think that in these procedures we should be interested in maximizing safety and predictability of the procedures at all other costs. Why take chances when you can simply come back for the second procedure safely just a short time after the first, if you wish?  Beware the argument that cost savings are the most important issue, and beware the surgeon that promotes this idea to you.  There are lots of people doing these operations right now because of their popularity, and not all of them have your best interests in mind.  You should always seek out board certified surgeons for consultations regarding these procedures, as they will be the only ones with the best training and experience as surgeons to properly advise you .  In addition to being certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, your surgeon should also voluntarily participate in the Maintenance of Certification program administered by that board. This is the best way to know that your surgeon not only has the best training and experience for the procedure, but that he or she has maintained currency in the certification requirements as opposed to practicing on a "lifetime" certificate which has only been reviewed once at the beginning of his or her career. For more information on this you can visit ABplsurg.org or ABMS.org. Good luck.

It depend on the surgeon. I do recommend patients do both at the same time for the reason that while healing from a Brazilian butt lift you are required to not lay or sit on your buttocks. And while healing from a breast augmentation I require patients to sleep on their back for 6 weeks. So  having both at the same time conflict. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Multiple procedures, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. For safety reasons, to be a good candidate for the procedures you want at the same time, your labs and cardiovascular preoperative evaluation must be optimal.
Therefore, you must be a healthy person, within an appropriate BMI and no history of diseases that increase the surgical / anesthetic risk degree.
Finally, I recommend you a skilled certified plastic surgeon in body contouring surgery and experienced in cases like yours where the planned operating time is less than five hours. Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.- 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Certain procedures lend themselves to combination procedures. Some can better be done simultaneously with others. It comes down to the preference of the Surgeon. 

BBL and Breast Augmentation at the Same Time?

While it is possible to do both procedures together in some cases, you do want to ensure that time under anesthesia is controlled to ensure the safest possible procedure. As we are in West Palm Beach, we would welcome you in for a free consultation to determine if the procedures are best done together or separately. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

BBL and breast augmentation in one procedure?

Thank you for your question. These two procedures can be done together, combination procedures are safe and very effective in the right hands.  The surgeon HAS to be an expert in EACH procedure and must have a lot of experience in performing combination procedures and can minimize the operative time. The difficult part is the recovery as many patients find it hard to sleep because is hard to find a comfortable position. Combination procedures can give powerful results but SAFETY is KEY.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Breast surgery and bbl at the same time?

It's not that you absolutely cannot do them together, but it creates a very tough recovery and may compromise your final results. I personally almost never agree to do these surgeries in combination. During recovery from a breast augmentation, it is best and most comfortable to sit or lay on your back with your head elevated. This position puts enough pressure on the fat injected into the buttocks that there is decreased blood flow, and it will not survive as well. The best position for recovery after bbl is to be on your side or stomach, and these positions may not be comfortable or ideal for healing after breast surgery. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

While they certainly can be done together, and you can recover from them and surgeons do feel differently about that....YOU need to decide what "package" you want to deal with.The biggest issue is pressure on the buttocks after the procedure. Since we need to avoid undue pressure on the newly transferred fat and because it would be very uncomfortable to lie on your stomach after BA. you need to ask yourself if it is worth it. I would be VERY reluctant to agree to due the combination on most patients.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Because there a strict guidelines and rules from the Florida Boarded of Medicine in combination surgeries!. If doing a liposuction over 1 liter to a max of 4 liters than can NOT combine surgeries! If doing under 1 liter than can combine. But the BBL results would be minimal. Understand????