What can be done to fix a post facelift pouch under my jaw? (photos)

I am 65 and 5 months post facelift . The neck tightening was not done through a small incision under chin . The neck laxity was addressed from each side of my neck. Overall smoothness of neck area is greatly improved however when looking down a pouch is now visible under my jaw . What can be done? I am not not have ever been overweight.

Pouch after facelift

Considering you are 65 and only had the sides treated, this is just relaxation after a lateral lift. You probably looked great 2 weeks after the procedure, but the area under the chin started looking worse over the past several months. The only way to improve this is with a platysmaplasty, the surgery where the muscles under the chin are directly tightened through a small incision in the chin crease. Andrew Campbell, M.D.Facial Plastic SpecialistQuintessa Aesthetic Centers

Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift results

If you want to fix the area in question, you will need additional surgery to lift the muscles in the neck. Of course, keep in mind that everyone has a pouch when they tuck their chin under. Whether or not to go for additional surgery is really going to depend on what you can live with.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

What can be done to fix a post facelift pouch under my jaw?

It is difficult to address the question without your before photos but I have a strong feeling that if a submental approach is used, the midline appearance could be improved. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in facial surgery, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Vertical Neck Lift Is Required

The neck skin above the Adam's apple ( voice box, laryngeal prominence)  belongs to the face. This part of the neck needs to be lifted north, vertically.The traditional neck lift that uses incisions behind the ear will pull the neck in the wrong direction. Often that tightens the bottom part of the neck too much, so that when you look downward, the skin will bulge outward. The solution is to perform a vertical neck lift, which will give that part of the skin back to the face as opposed to pulling outward.  

Michael Byun, MD

Persistent submental fullness after a facelift

It is likely that area can be improved with a simple outpatient procedure via a small incision under your chin to address the residual fullness and muscle banding. This procedure is called a submentoplasty and can usually be done under local anesthesia and typically takes an hour or less. I would discuss this with your surgeon or seek another opinion in your area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Facelift pouch?

At 5 months, swelling can still be a major factor in neck contour. It is not unusual, and usually resolves by the end of the first year. If not, surgical options can range from liposuction to a necklift which directly removes fat and tightens the muscles through an incision under the chin. Since you have had such good improvement already, I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon. He can assess your concerns and discuss your options.

Henry Wells, MD
Lexington Plastic Surgeon

Revision

A revision to further tighten the neck can be considered.  It appears that you do have residual skin laxity that can be improved with further tightening.  Best wishes, Dr. T.

Facelifting #woundhealing #cosmeticsurgery #beauty #tmbcosmeticsurgery

Dear Diamondgirl2222Thank you for your question and photos!  Sometimes the neck improvement is underwhelming- I tell all of my patients that neck skin redraping is necessary in some people- usually it is done after 1 year.With Warm RegardsTrevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Face lift, neck lift

Thank you for your email. I am sorry to learn that you have some concerns following your procedure. May I suggest you to contact your primary surgeon and discuss your issues with him ?The photo on the left side is in flexed position and it is not uncommon to have a fold of neck skin in that position. If you are not content with the primary surgeon then it would be a good idea to get a second opinion from a qualified plastic surgeon. With best wishes,

Shailesh Vadodaria, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Face lift - still have some neck looseness

Thank you for asking about your face lift.
  • It is excellent that you have lots of improvement.
  • In the position that shows your pouch, almost everyone has looseness
  • Neck skin is naturally a little loose, to allow us to move.
  • However it is possible that it could be reduced with tightening of the muscles under the chin.
  • And it is possible it will improve as more swelling subsides.
  • Since you had such a good improvement, ask your plastic surgeon what her/his suggests are for you.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS