How different is breast augmentation procedure for a transgender male?

Breast Augmentation Similarities and Differences for Transgender Male

Performing breast augmentation on a transgender male is actually much more similar than different from performing it on an anatomical female.  All my transgender male patients desiring augmentation have already been on hormone therapy and thus have experienced some degree of breast gland development.  This has created a little extra, looser skin which can accommodate an implant more comfortably.  The other basic anatomy is essentially the same.  I would say that breast augmentation in a transgender male is very similar to augmentation in a very small breasted female in terms of implant placement and post op comfort.  There would probably be some limitation on implant size due only to the relative tightness of chest wall skin.  Be sure to seek consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has experience performing augmentations on transgender patients.

Although there some nuances (and differences when it comes to anatomic findings) when it comes to transgender breast augmentation surgery, many of the principles remain the same.

Ultimately, in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be necessary. Careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to transgender patients who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to transgender patient breast augmentation) helps.