BA 4 days post op , are my implants to high? (photos)

475ccs HP 5'4 131LBS. I know I'm only 4 days post op and they need time to settle but I cant help to slightly freak out. I feel like they are so high and one is more swollen then the other. Should I be worried?

Uneven and high breasts

Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

ASK YOUR SURGEON

By the end of surgery, your surgeon should have a good idea of your final result.  Swelling will then commence and peak at three days. Swelling should then resolve by ten days.  

Your surgeon should know if this is the result of large implants or is due to hematoma. If there is a question of hematoma, a blunt facial liposuction cannula can be carefully passed through the wound to determine if there is a fluid collection.  If so, it is best drained, irrigated, and any bleeders controlled.  The implant is replaced.  If the wound is pulled apart instead of excised, the healing process will continue as if it was never opened.

Luis Villar, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. . You are very early in the post-operative period and swelling is to be expected. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and the implants to settle into proper position. Swelling usually accounts for 10 - 15% of the initial post-operative appearance. The implants may swell asymmetrically, but usually settle evenly. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Steven J. Rottman, MD, FACS

Hello, thank you for your question and photos. Allow me to first say "Congratulations!" on moving forward to obtain #Breast  #implants! The #swelling and level of your implants is quite normal and can take approximately 2-3 months to settle. During the healing process, one breast may heal quicker than the other.  The final #appearance, #shape, and #movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The #contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result. I suggest that you speak with your #BCPS about your concerns and follow his recommended protocol for #recovery. Best wishes!

Wait for some time

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

4 days post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
Its early to talk about final results.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

BA 4 days post op , are my implants to high?

Presently, you are very early in the healing process. Your implants and swelling will continue to settle with time. You look normal at this point. Follow up with your surgeon as directed. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

PLEASE relax!! Your result looks EXCELLENT at 4 days!! Follow instructions about breast implant displacement exercises when your surgeon says it is OK to do them. It can take 8-12 weeks for them to finish dropping. When they do you will have an excellemnt result!

Too early!

475 cc are larger breast implants so some of the fulness will come down but not all.... Bigger implants lead to bigger fullness at the top of the breasts. With time this will get better... Too early. 

Aldo Guerra, MD

Give it time

Always alert your surgeon to your concerns.  However, at this time you just need to wait and let your body heal.  Best wishes.

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon