35yrs young and lost elasticity

I am a 35yr caucasian woman, I am worried that my face skin is sagging. I have begun to obsess about pulling my cheeks tighter, and when I turn my face upside down in the mirror, it seems like my skin is drooping, particularly my cheeks. I take good care of my skin; peptides, antioxidant, retinoids. What are the treatments, creams that actually work for tightening the cheeks and keeping elasticity longer? I worry I will spend all my saved money and get no result. Any advice is appreciated.

Skin elasticity

Skin does lose its elasticity as we age.  There are several non-invasive options available for skin tightening including ultrasound technologies such as Ulthera.  At a visit with a facial plastic specialist, you could discuss the options available for you.

35yrs young and lost elasticity

Thanks for your query. Skin tightening occurs from collagen remodeling and topical creams affect very less. There are various options available for the same like thermage or thermi RF. They work on the principle of providing heat which stimulates remodeling of collagen and tightens the skin gradually. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Combination treatment

The approach generally is through multiple treatments with creams, fillers, and devices. See a credible dermatologist and take it from there.

Firas Al-Niaimi, MSc
London Dermatologist

The appropriate treatment is dictated by the problem you have.

Depending on the severity of the problem and the amount of improvement you're after, you will need one or more of multitude of available treatments.  The categories of treatment are spa-level treatments, non-invasive medical treatments, minimally invasive treatments, and surgical treatments.

An experienced plastic surgeon can best determine which of these you are a better candidate for and balance your goals, the financial costs, your recovery limitations, and any other concerns to make the best recommendation.  Based on your worries, it certainly sounds like you need a minimum of good, medical grade skin care.  I do wonder if you'd respond well to volume enhancement using a product such as Voluma or Restylane Lyft.  You can get a surprising amount of tightening and lifting from those products.

You have many excellent surgeons in your area.  Take the next step by calling for a consult and look forward to a better looking you.

Best of luck.

Skin Tightening....

A great new procedure is Venus Viva.  This is a fractional radio frequency skin resurfacing.  Typically patients will have 3 treatments, 1 month apart with minimal down time.  This procedure will help import skin texture, tone, and give you a nice "glow".  

You should also be very consistent with good skin care products (i.e, daily sunscreen and Retin-A use)

Hope this helps.

Grant Stevens, MD

Skin rejuvenation and elasticity

Dear Patient from West Palm Beach, 

Rejuvenating skin is mostly about injury and repair. The body has great abilities to rebuild itsself when injured. 

Some lasers and treatments are mild and therefore have mild results. 

If you have a few weeks to recover, full ablative laser resurfacing can offer some of the best results.

I hope this was helpful. 

Adam Scheiner, MD
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sagging skin at 35 - what to do

Thank you for asking about your sagging skin.

• First of all, anyone who tells you what to do for sagging skin without at least a photo, and ideally an examination is not giving you helpful information.
  • There are lots and lots of creams, fillers and lasers being promoted - and results can range from zero  to very satisfactory, usually temporary (ie a year or so) improvement.
  • On the other hand, in some women the best investment by far is surgery - with permanent results that no cream or office treatment comes close to matching.
  • It entirely depends on your skin, your life style and exactly what the problem areas are.
  • Other than a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables and a really good sun block - I suggest you see both a plastic surgeon and a cosmetic dermatologist, get their opinions and decide what seems best for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Ultherapy

An Uplift, not a Facelift! Ultherapy is a new type of non-surgical, non-invasive procedure for the face that uses ultrasound and the body’s own natural healing process to lift, tone and tighten loose skin. The FDA – approved device used in the procedure utilizes the safe, time-tested energy of ultrasound to stimulate the deep structural support layers of the skin including those typically addressed in a surgical face lift without disturbing the surface of the skin.

John Frattellone, DMD
Red Bank Dentist

Ultherapy for loss of skin elasticity

A medical grade skin care regimen is important to promote collagen and elastin production.  In our office, we prefer Jan Marini MD skin care or Obagi MD. Base on your age and complaints, you may be a great candidate for Ultherapy.    Ultherapy works by administering ultrasound energy to specific depths of skin and muscle with precise ultrasound guidance, which causes tissue tightening and collagen production.  Ultherapy is a great option for patients looking for a non-invasive procedure to tighten lax skin and soft tissues of the forehead, face, neck or décolleté with no surgery, needles or downtime.The results from an Ultherapy treatment work in a two-step process. The first stage is the contraction and denaturing of collagen, which causes an immediate tissue tightening, and resultant lift. The second stage occurs over time while the body’s healing response builds new collagen (neocollagenesis).4 New collagen production is generated over 2-3 months and often continues for 6 months after the treatment. Full results are visible after 3 to 6 months.

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Skin Tightening, Collagen Building Laser

It sounds like you are taking great care of your skin, however sometimes the topical products are no longer enough and some heavier hitting artillery is needed. Based on your description, it sounds like you could really benefit from a series skin tightening, collagen building laser treatments. Currently our most popular and effective treatment for this is 3D laser, which is a combination of two laser, Collagenesis and Vbeam. Both lasers work, in different ways, to build collagen. The first works on a deeper level and the second is slightly more superficial, giving you an overall three-dimensional tightening effect. Most effective in a series of three, but certainly effective regardless of how many you choose to do, 3D laser involves very minimal discomfort and zero downtime - you will walk out of the office looking radiant and refreshed and begin to see results over the next several weeks to month. 

Dennis Gross, MD