35yrs young and lost elasticity

I am a 35yr caucasian woman, I am worried that my face skin is sagging. I have begun to obsess about pulling my cheeks tighter, and when I turn my face upside down in the mirror, it seems like my skin is drooping, particularly my cheeks. I take good care of my skin; peptides, antioxidant, retinoids. What are the treatments, creams that actually work for tightening the cheeks and keeping elasticity longer? I worry I will spend all my saved money and get no result. Any advice is appreciated.

Skin rejuvenation and elasticity

Dear Patient from West Palm Beach, 

Rejuvenating skin is mostly about injury and repair. The body has great abilities to rebuild itsself when injured. 

Some lasers and treatments are mild and therefore have mild results. 

If you have a few weeks to recover, full ablative laser resurfacing can offer some of the best results.

I hope this was helpful. 

Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sagging skin at 35 - what to do

Thank you for asking about your sagging skin.

• First of all, anyone who tells you what to do for sagging skin without at least a photo, and ideally an examination is not giving you helpful information.
  • There are lots and lots of creams, fillers and lasers being promoted - and results can range from zero  to very satisfactory, usually temporary (ie a year or so) improvement.
  • On the other hand, in some women the best investment by far is surgery - with permanent results that no cream or office treatment comes close to matching.
  • It entirely depends on your skin, your life style and exactly what the problem areas are.
  • Other than a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables and a really good sun block - I suggest you see both a plastic surgeon and a cosmetic dermatologist, get their opinions and decide what seems best for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

An Uplift, not a Facelift! Ultherapy is a new type of non-surgical, non-invasive procedure for the face that uses ultrasound and the body’s own natural healing process to lift, tone and tighten loose skin. The FDA – approved device used in the procedure utilizes the safe, time-tested energy of ultrasound to stimulate the deep structural support layers of the skin including those typically addressed in a surgical face lift without disturbing the surface of the skin.

John Frattellone, DMD
Red Bank Dentist

Ultherapy for loss of skin elasticity

A medical grade skin care regimen is important to promote collagen and elastin production.  In our office, we prefer Jan Marini MD skin care or Obagi MD. Base on your age and complaints, you may be a great candidate for Ultherapy.    Ultherapy works by administering ultrasound energy to specific depths of skin and muscle with precise ultrasound guidance, which causes tissue tightening and collagen production.  Ultherapy is a great option for patients looking for a non-invasive procedure to tighten lax skin and soft tissues of the forehead, face, neck or décolleté with no surgery, needles or downtime.The results from an Ultherapy treatment work in a two-step process. The first stage is the contraction and denaturing of collagen, which causes an immediate tissue tightening, and resultant lift. The second stage occurs over time while the body’s healing response builds new collagen (neocollagenesis).4 New collagen production is generated over 2-3 months and often continues for 6 months after the treatment. Full results are visible after 3 to 6 months.

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Skin Tightening, Collagen Building Laser

It sounds like you are taking great care of your skin, however sometimes the topical products are no longer enough and some heavier hitting artillery is needed. Based on your description, it sounds like you could really benefit from a series skin tightening, collagen building laser treatments. Currently our most popular and effective treatment for this is 3D laser, which is a combination of two laser, Collagenesis and Vbeam. Both lasers work, in different ways, to build collagen. The first works on a deeper level and the second is slightly more superficial, giving you an overall three-dimensional tightening effect. Most effective in a series of three, but certainly effective regardless of how many you choose to do, 3D laser involves very minimal discomfort and zero downtime - you will walk out of the office looking radiant and refreshed and begin to see results over the next several weeks to month. 

Dennis Gross, MD

Elasticity of facial skin

Dear JJinMotion:You are already doing several things that are helpful in maintaining and increasing the elasticity of skin of the face. A good quality topical retinoid and certain types of antioxidants, such as a topical vitamin C with 10% or higher L-ascorbic acid at a low pH, are a very good start. I would also recommend a good growth factor cream, such as TNS Recovery Complex or Regenica Replenishing Cream, and Alastin, which will increase collagen, elastic fibers, and other connective tissue proteins.Many patients your age opt for a short series of Pellevé radiofrequency treatments to tighten the skin, or one Ultherapy treatment to the cheeks and upper neck to tighten and lift.Of course a good broad-spectrum sunscreen will minimize the amount of degraded elastin fibers and collagen in your skin, helping to slow the aging process. Look for something with Micronized zinc oxide such as an Elta product.All the best,  Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD