I'm a 27 year old I have really large breasts for my body frame. Would I be able to qualify for a breast reduction? (Photo)

I'm 27 years old I just had a baby 2 years ago now I'm 5"2 I wiegh 134 pounds my breast size before my son was 110 pounds a 36D chest size then they grew to 38DDD after the baby

Candidate for a BR

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a breast reduction.

Also known as reduction mammoplasty, this is an operation intended to reduce the size of a woman’s breasts and improve their shape and position. Frequently, the areola (dark skin around the nipple) is also made smaller. Functional symptoms (medical disorders) caused by excessive breast weight may be relieved or improved by this operation.
Women who have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of movement difficulties, back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations and chafing under the breasts will benefit from reduction.
Women with excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, are candidates.
Large breasts that interfere with normal daily activities or with exercise will be more comfortable when reduced.

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question and photo.  It appears that you would be an excellent candidate for a breast reduction.  Please be seen in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon who is an expert in the breast reduction procedure to determine what would be both best and realistic for you.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Insurance coverage of breast reductions

Hi, Insurance coverage of breast reductions depends on the insurance payer and their criteria. Criteria usually include the amount of tissue to be removed based on your height and weight and your symptoms and how they were managed. Good luck!

Elliot Hirsch, MD
Sherman Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Would I be able to qualify for a breast reduction?

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing secondary to breast hypertrophy; based on your description you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery at some point.  “Official” recommendations of course would necessitate in-person consultation.

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin this operation reduces AND lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall (in other words, the breasts are "automatically" lifted when a breast reduction is performed). By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.

Best to check directly with your insurance company to see whether breast reduction surgery is a “covered” benefit with your specific policy. Then, given that every insurance company has different “criteria”, best to identify exactly what your specific insurance company considers criteria for approval.

Obtaining insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery will likely involve some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letters/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization. Prepare to be persistent when dealing with health insurance companies.
When the time is right, seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes as you work towards your goals.Apr 02 '16, 7:18am

Breast Reduction Candidate

Candidates for #BreastReduction surgery are women who wish to have smaller #breasts to achieve a more proportional appearance or to alleviate physical discomfort. Breast reduction can correct symptoms from excessively #largeheavybreasts that may cause the inability to do certain exercises, or create back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap shoulder indentations and chafing or rashes under the breasts. Women experiencing these discomforts may benefit from Breast Reduction, also called #ReductionMammoplasty.
This procedure is commonly covered by insurance. Although, insurance criteria are becoming more and more restrictive. Pre-authorization by an insurance company is required prior to surgery, and the process takes approximately one month. Each insurance policy has different guidelines and exclusions.

Breast reduction

It does look like you are a candidate for a breast reduction.  Best to check with your insurance company to see what the criteria are. You should also see a plastic surgeon for evaluation. Good luck.

It appears as if you are an excellent candidate for a reduction and lift. Weather or not your insurance will pay for it is another issue. Talk to the insurance company.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Scarless breast reduction

The liposuction only operation may be an option. Much less expensive, out patient, no general anesthesia, quick, minimal down time especially with a young child at home. Not ideal for everyone but might be something to look into.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Based on your information and photos, you would be an excellent candidate for a breast reduction provided that you're not a smoker.  Do you have back/neck/shoulder pain, bra-strap grooving, or rashes under your breasts?  Even though you would seem to benefit from a breast reduction, it's hard to say whether your insurance company would authorize your surgery.  Carriers will vary in their requirements.  Check with your plan and consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast reduction

Yes you an excellent candidate for a breast reduction from the pic that I can see.  This would involve removing the breast tissue around the sides and superiorly.  If you are having symptoms of heavy breasts such as neck pain and rashes and if at least 500 grams are removed it might qualify under some insurance plans. You would have to check with your individual plan.

I use an inferior pedicle technique which allows  the nipple to stay attached to its blood supply to make sure you have sensation and good healing.  The incision I would recommend is the anchor incision which is around the areola and vertically down and underneath the breast.   I also like to liposculpt the axillary area as this help me create a nice round appearance and removes the extra tissue sitting in your bra, ( near your armpits).

Good luck!   Look for a board certified plastic surgeon.

Andrew T. Cohen, MD