I'm considering a breast lift /aug but I'm concerned about scars.

Please sends information and photos of scars from breast lift /aug

Lift with or without implants

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. 

Is better to think positive and keep calm, sometimes as a patient we decide some things that wont give us the best results, because we start thinking about the scars and we get worry about it. Is better to do what is better for you and what is going to give you the best results.

I recommend to make an appointment with a board certified surgeon for an evaluation and to talk abuot what kind of lift do you need and to talk about your goals.

Good luck :)

Scars after breast lift surgery

Most people considering surgery share your concerns.  Any surgical procedure results in a scar.  Scars take around 12-18 months to go through the maturation phase during which time they typically fade and become less noticeable.  in my practice I find patients find the faded scars acceptable and all are indeed very happy they underwent the procedure.

Breast lift and/or Augmentation but concerned with scars.

I can't give a meaningful response without at least a photo, but a in person examination is most important.  Once the shape/position of your breasts is known more concrete recommendations could be made.  Perhaps you could only have the breast augmentation, done with minimal scarring and avoid the lift and the scarring which concerns you.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for a detailed consultation.

Concerned about scars with a breast lift

Very valid concern and one many patients share with you. I try to counsel patients to consider what shape and appearance they are trying to achieve with surgery.  For many women a breast lift with or without an implant is the only way to achieve a perkier more youthful breast appearance. When at your consults look through photos to determine if the scars are acceptable to you and give the shaping you are looking for.  If you do chose to have a lift, know that many options for treating scars after surgery exist as well including topical scar creams, silicone sheeting or laser procedures. 

Jennifer Geoghegan, MD

For some patients the necessity of  scars  associated with breast lifting surgery is a “dealbreaker” ; for these patients it is better to avoid breast surgery altogether.  

On the other hand, many patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations at the right time of their lives  psychosocially) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry. This acceptance of the scars is the essential “trade-off” associated with many of the procedures we do in the field of plastic surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Breast Lift Scars

Dear Susan,

That's a very common and valid concern you raise. Certainly visiting various Plastic Surgeon websites and eventually having a face to face meeting will give you a good sense of the type of scarring you can expect.

Once you have met with a board certified plastic surgeon with whom you would like to work, I have one general suggestion.

- If you are comfortable with their work and generally happy with the results they are able to show you then your focus can be more on the overall aesthetic result - size, shape, position and less specifically about scars.

Incision placement and subsequent scarring are important, however well healed scars on a breast with an excellent shape and proportion will look better than minimal scars on a breast that is droopy or positioned.poorly.

Take your time. Review your options. Eventually the right decision for you will be clear.

Best regards,

Dr Nodwell

Trefor Nodwell, MD
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Scar Concerns

For patients with both a lack of volume and sagging breasts, and whom desire lifted, perky breasts, a combination of a breast lift and augmentation (mastopexy augmentation) can address both issues. 

A breast lift augmentation is often performed using one of three larger incisions. These include 1) an incision around the nipple areola (peri-areolar), 2) an incision around the nipple combined with an extension down towards the breast crease (lollipop or short scar), or 3) a lollipop incision with an extension horizontally in the breast crease (inverted “T” incision, or anchor). The choice of incision is based on multiple factors including patient anatomy, surgical goals, surgeon preference, and patient preference.

See the link below for pics and more info.

In general, the scars heal well. Every patient, however, is different. A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Breast surgery

Hello and thank you for your question. The answer really depends on your individual anatomy and this can determine the best plan for you in terms of incisions.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast lift

The incisions for breast lift will vary depending upon the different technique used. I try to use as few incisions as possible to give my patients the best results possible.