I am looking to have liposuction to my thighs, calves and knees following a 240+ pound weight loss? (Photo)

I had a left total knee replacement 10 years ago. I'm down to 185 from 428lbs and I've already done a vertical thigh lift (one year post-op), so is it safe to do liposuction to my thighs,knees and calves now? By the way, I'm looking to have this done during a 360 LBL.....

Liposuction on Legs Following Weight Loss

Hi. Congratulations on your weight loss. That's amazing. 

Typically liposcution is a great procedure to reduce volume but we have to take in the consideration of the skins elasticity. Patients will do liposuction while on their weight loss journey or when done losing their optimal weight. However each patient is different. with a patient like yourself, who's weight loss is more than 100 pounds liposuction would not help with the lose skin that you are now experiencing. You may want to consider a skin tightening procedure, such a Thighplasty.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

I am looking to have liposuction to my thighs, calves and knees following a 240+ pound weight loss?

Greetings

Thank you for your question, Congratulations on your weight loss. Lipsuction should be a good start for you and after which you can continue with weight loss program.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Lower extremity liposuction and lower body lift.

It is common to perform liposuction at the time of a lower body lift in the areas being treated surgically such as the outer thighs, lower back, and abdomen.  In theory, the addition of liposuction to the lower extremity is not contra-indicated; however, you need to factor in the amount of time in the operating room as well as the total volume of liposuction.  Large-volume liposuction (more than 5 liters) at the time of a body lift is a major surgery and should be treated with respect in terms of safety precautions for risks such as DVT, fluid shifts, etc.  It is important that your surgeon is experienced with these types of procedures and managing these types of cases.  You should have at least some period of overnight observation in the hospital as well as close post-op follow up.  It is important to to discuss these issues with your surgeon pre-operatively.  I will often stage these procedures to shorten time in the OR, but these decisions are always made on a case-by-case basis.  Good luck!

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Is it safe to do lipo to your thighs, knees and calves?

Far more important than deciding if liposuction or a BBL is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a liposuction. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Massive weight loss - is liposuction of my legs ok now?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Congratulations on your fantastic weight loss! Good for you.
  • Given how much weight you have lost, you should only take the advice of a surgeon who has examined you.
  • The LBL will tighten your hips and thighs and liposuction might be reasonable in those areas.
  • But liposuction of the calves - if the skin is loose - is likely to make them worse.
  • Depending on how long your lower body lift takes, if you do have liposuction, it might be wise to have it done later, to avoid too long an operation.
  • What did your surgeon say? S/he will have seen you and can give you the best advice.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction

I would rely on your surgeon's opinion since s/he knows you best , but if getting a lower body lift you might leave the lipo of the knees for another day. That said, I doubt a little lipo added on would add any significant risk, other than the usual risks. Best of luck to you. 

Body lift and lipo

The body lift is quite an extensive procedure you may want to stage the lipo of the other areas to minimize potential complications.  Best of luck.

Liposuction candidate

Liposuction, after weight loss, is a great modality for body contouring. The perfect candidate has a disproportion of fat cells in certain areas that are amenable to be modified with liposuction. In a very safe procedure in an outpatient setting by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, you can achieve your desired results. Best wishes!

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a good candidate for liposuction.  This must be performed with extreme caution so as to not result in contour defects, especially around the knees.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Liposuction following weight loss

Thank you for the question and the photo. Although it is rather difficult to fully evaluate your situation without an in-person exam, you appear to be an excellent candidate for liposuction. Because liposuction is not meant to be used as a method for weight loss, patients are strongly advised to achieve a desired weight prior to this procedure. Sometimes, however, even the most vigorous exercise and healthy diet may fail to eliminate resistant fat deposits. In your case, liposuction would help eliminate excess fat in stubborn "problem areas" and enhance your body contour. 

As always, an in-person examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and obtain medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS