My skin is starting to sag around my jaw line, what can I do for long lasting, natural looking results? (photos)

What would the downtime be and what procedure is recommend also how much would the cost be?

Lower facelift

Based on your photo, you look as if you'd be a good candidate for a lower facelift. My best advice would be for you to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to be assessed in person and discuss your options. If you aren't open to surgery, there are non-surgical options that could help but the results may not be what you want. 

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Book a Consultation for a Facelift

The best way to address the sagging skin at the jawline is to undergo a facelift. There are different degrees of complexity, depending on how much excess is really present. These options can be discussed with your plastic surgeon. A mini lift will be less invasive, but it will not give you the dramatic result that is available with a more aggressive procedure. These are the nuances you and your surgeon need to decide on together. Your specific benefits might not be worth going through with the aggressive procedure.  

Based on your picture and question, I recommend researching a mini-lift as well as a lower facelift. Your surgeon will be able to give you a sense of the longevity of each. Remember that a "mini-lift" and "lower facelift" are just categories of procedures that can be done in different ways based on your surgeons technique. A good question to ask in consultation is how will the procedure be customized to address your aging pattern without making it look obvious (i.e. natural looking results, incisions that are hard to see, and long lasting results) . 

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon

What do you do for long lasting results?

If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel on the inside, a facelift may be the solution to help you look and feel younger. During your consultation, your doctor will evaluate your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure. Based on this evaluation, he/she will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. Your doctor should make sure you have a full understanding of what results to expect.Always insist on a board certified surgeon!

Slight jowls treatment in a young patient

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

You see very young. Depending on your age, different surgeons will recommend different levels of intervention. in your case it will go from fillers to CO2 laser to mini face lifts. Everything depends on your level of invasiveness that you want to go through

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Mini Face lift

Hi. Thank you for the photos, it makes it very easy for me to give you the best advice. 

Based on the picture you provided, you are aging well. However, I do see some early signs of jowling.

The best procedure to correct jowls, is a Facelift. That was we can tighten the jawline. For you because this is a mild case, I would recommend a Mini Face lift. The Mini Face Lift allows for smaller-shorter length incisions & sometimes allows for a local or more mild anesthetic vs a general anesthesia. Recovery is approximately 2-3 weeks. 

Brett E. Stompro, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Mini Lift

Mini Lift can be a nice procedure in younger patients to tighten the neck and lower/mid face.  It can be done under local anesthesia and recovery requires 2 weeks.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Jaw line sagging

Hard to give definitive answers without better photos and an exam, but, in general a mini facelift would offer the best chance at tightening. I would not suggest doing this unless there is enough redundant skin to make the lift worthwhile. Otherwise fillers may offer some help.

All the Best.

Dr. J

A. Dean Jabs M.D. Ph.D. FACS
6430 Rockledge Drive
Bethesda MD 20817

Improving the neck and jawline for natural results

One may improve the neck and jawline for natural results via a variety of methods, largely dependent on the patient's anatomy and personal preferences. Based on your single photograph alone, similar patients may choose chin augmentation with or without liposuction on the neck and jawline. Lower facelift or neck lift type procedures are required for those with excess skin. If you haven't already, then speak with a facelift plastic surgeon to review options with you.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Just A Mini

As we age, the soft tissues of our face loosen and begin to descend. In the mirror, the first signs are loose skin and the formation of small jowls over the jaw line. 

For younger patients who are just beginning to exhibit these signs of aging, a mini face-lift can lift the soft tissue back into place and remove the excess saggy skin. This can often be accomplished through a small incision in front of and around the earlobe. Down time is a couple days and full recovery is usually about a week.

Many of our patients travel from around NYC/NJ to the Albany / Saratoga Springs area to avoid the high costs of surgery in the city. A mini facelift in our practice averages $7,000 to $8,000 and includes facility and anesthesia costs. 

See the link below for a real patient experience. 

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.