Is it possible to remove a silicone implant with Keller funnel?

I had 320 cc's placed transaxillary less than 6 months ago. Now I want them removed - without placement of a new implant. Implants are just not for me. I am hoping it will be straightforward and I will not need the capsule removed. My surgeon inserted the silicone implants endoscopically, transaxillary, using a Keller funnel. Is it possible to remove the same way? And, even if possible, would it be safer to go through inframmary? I really want to go the safest route. Thank you for any advice!

The Keller funnel can be  used during an augmentation, but there is no benefit to use it during removal of implants.  The best incision for implant removal is along the breast crease.  Since your augmentation was less than 6 months ago, I doubt there is a need to remove the capsules.  Your questions are best answered in person after an exam by your plastic surgeon.  Best wishes. 

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

The Keller funnel does not help when it comes to breast implant removal surgery.  In my practice, I find that removal of breast implants is usually best on through an inframammary incision.  You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Is there any issues with implant like capsular contracture?

You can have your implants removed through the same incision. If there is an issue like infection, severe capsular contracture or possible ruptured implant , then inframammary incision would be better. I offer my patient implant removal and fat grafting. Please see the link  

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Removal with a Keller Funnel

Unfortunately the Keller Funnel only works for implanting. I agree with the other surgeons who suggest removal via an inframammary (bottom crease) incisions. Removing the implants through the axillary incision limits any corrections or capsule excision.

Dr C

The funnel would have no benefit to you during removal in my opinion. I would always recommend removal through an inframammary incision as if you need any surgery on the capsule it can be done through the same incision. I would ask your PS about the pros and cons of the various incisions and the pros and cons. In my opinion the inframammary incision is a more reliable and safer route.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal with keller funnel

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation removal.
  • I am sorry you dislike your implants.
  • The Keller funnel helps to push the implants inside you without damaging the implant -
  • It will not help to remove them (there is no person inside you to push OUT the implants.
  • The easiest and safest removal is using an incision in the breast crease.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

It is not possible to remove your silicone breast implants with a Keller Funnel. The simplest way to remove your implants would be through inframammary incisions. Smooth silicone implants can be removed under local anesthesia without the need to go under general. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes. Dr. Gregory Park, San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Gregory Park, MD

The keller funnel is no use at all in implant removal but a nice aid in inserting implants.  You should not anticipate any problems with implant removal.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - remove a silicone implant with Keller funnel?

Probably not, although the specifics might depend on the type of implant you have and for that, and any other issues related to this, you'll have to talk to your own plastic surgeon (of course).But even trying to use the funnel doesn't make sense.  It's used to decrease trauma on the implant (and, by extension, to get a larger implant in).  It works by "funneling" - so you put the small end inside the incision, put the implant in to the funnel, and force it down and into the cavity.  There is no way to secure it and use it in the reverse direction.And getting silicone implants, of any kind, out the TA incision can be difficult.  And nearly impossible if it is a textured implant, since that doesn't slide as well.  In general, an IM incision would be the best way to get the implant out in terms of the least amount of stress on the shell of the implant, and so the least likely for the implant to rupture.But you understandably would not want two incisions (on each side) if not necessary.  Talk to your PS about the options, and then you can make a decision balancing what's good and bad about each.And, needless to say, I'm sorry that you went through all that and then decided that implants are not for you.I hope that this helps and good luck,Dr. Alan EnglerMember of #RealSelf500

The Keller Funnel is a nice aid in inserting implants, it is of no use at all in implant removal. With such recent implants there is no reason to think the capsules will need to be taken out but you will need a different incision, preferably at the bottom of the breast, for removal of your implants. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD