Optimum results: Losing weight before tummy tuck? (photos)

43 y/o, 5'3", 145 lbs, 3kids, 1 c-section 10 years ago, 5 month post op hysterectomy. I lost 45lbs by diet & exercise in '14. Have lots of loose skin. Lowest at 130 last yr but dx with rhabdomyolysis in Nov 2015. No exercise of any kind since then due to spike in CPK. P is also always critically low. Currently 145lbs. I want to be 130-135 before TT but during consult MD said I'm fine the way I am. Should I lose weight before tummy tuck for optimum result??

Lose weight before tummy tuck

Honestly you will be fine either way if you loose 5-10 lbs or not.  If you can just watch your diet and get down a few pounds, great but if not I would still proceed with surgery.  Main thing is to go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs a lot of abdominoplasty surgeries.  Best of luck to you

Weight loss and tummy tuck

It is always best to be as lean as possible before tummy tuck. However, a few pounds will not make a difference with you shape.  Good luck

Ralph M. Rosato, MD
Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon

It Depends

Your current BMI is ~26 which is slightly overweight according to the charts. You might want to lose 5 pounds and then your BMI would be normal. Whether or not to choose to do that, you are still in good shape for a tummy tuck from the weight perspective. On the other hand, has your medical doctor cleared you in view of your rhabdomyolysis?

George Sanders, MD

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your photos. Congratulations on the successful weight loss. You can have a TT now and have great results. If you still would like to lose weight, you do not have to lose it all before the TT, but you can try to get within 10lbs for optimum results. It is important that you lose this last amount of weight in a healthy and sustainable fashion. If your nutrition is poor, your results may actually be suboptimal or you may have complications due to poor wound healing. You should never feel rushed in getting elective surgery!  Hope this helps!!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Tummy tuck & Weight

I always advise my patients to be at a maintainable goal weight for optimum results. If 130-135 is achievable for you then yes, try to get there before surgery. However, you are currently within 10 lbs of this weight so not the end of the world to get surgery now. It's really going to depend on you.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck candidate

Hello, congratulations in your weight loss! You have done an outstanding job!, you are wonderful candidate for a tummy tuck, you don't need to lose more weight, you can achieve great results with or without losing more weight. 

Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey! 

Respectfully, 

Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Best to be at your ideal weight, a weight you can maintain in the future, prior to undergoing a TT. If 130-135 lbs is realistic for you, then go for it. If not, you still appear to be a good candidate for a TT at 145 lbs. Hope this helps!

Do you need a tummy tuck?

Far more important than deciding if TT is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Lose weight before tummy tuck?

From your photos and information, you do not need to lose more weight before your surgery, and 10 pounds really do not make any difference.  Good luck with your surgery.

Candidate

Hello!

Thank you for the question and the photos.  Based on the pictures,  you seem to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.  Some doctors recommend for a BMI lesser than 30 to reduce the risk of complications but doctors differ from one another.  It would depend on your board-certified plastic surgeon's assessment when you had you physical examination.  Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS