Incision is oozing and inflammed. (photo)

Hello I am 5 weeks post tummy tuck and 5 days ago I started leaking from my incision and had inflammation and redness. My PS recommended keep applying Antibiotic ointment and will heal. It is very bothersome. Will it ever heal? I'm so uncomfortable

Inflamed and Oozing Incision

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

With the photo and description you have provided, however, it appears that you may have an infection in your incision and it would be a very good idea to visit your surgeon right away to have this examined. You will be able to get antibiotics and make sure that the scar can start to heal properly. Good luck!

Tummy tuck wound

Thanks for the picture to give a visual to your tummy tuck incision. Many tummy tucks can get some red reaction and even a low grade infection or just irritation from the absorbable sutures that can be managed with topical antibiotics, or if more sever some oral antibiotics. The key point to remember about topicals like bacitracin, Neosporin or similar topicals is up to 15% of people can develop an allergy to them if they use them beyond 10 or 12 days. If you do get that allergy it can look like things are getting worse when it's just the topical antibiotic making things worse due to the allergic reaction. If you have been on the topical for a long time go in and see your plastic surgeon again to be sure they don't wish to change the wounds care a bit. Most always things just keep getting better with attentive care, good luck. 

Jeffrey Nelson, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Wound Concerns after a Tummy Tuck

This looks to be normal. Sometimes after a tummy tuck procedure you can see some small open areas due to tension on the incision. Follow your plastic surgeons recommendations and it should heal all on it's own.

Leo Lapuerta, MD