Many months to recover feeling from Coolscupt- do another or not?

I had a Coolsculpt treatment in January 2015 (manhandles and abdomen- 4 areas) and it took at least 6 months to totally recover feeling in those areas. I would like to repeat the treatment but am concerned about possible nerve damage, or losing feeling for even longer. When I went in for the follow-up where I had it done they said they had never heard of anyone experiencing that. They even called the company to ask and they said to just wait. Do I need to be concerned doing this again??

Numbness

We have our patients wait 2 months before re-treating the same area. This allows enough time for the cells to be cleared out. Because we have so much experience with Coolsculpting, we can tell you before we treat how many times you can expect to have the treatment performed. None of our patients have had permanent numbness.
Sheila Nazarian

Nerve damage and Coolsculpting

Thanks for posting your question. I think you should be fine to have the procedure again. Expect a similar recovery, but I would not expect any permanent damage. The nerves can get bruised during the procedure. Everyone heals at a different rate. Good luck, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Nerve Damage

Id suggest liposuction, you can get a contouring result with much less downtime.  If you get coolsculpting again, use oral neurontin to help limit nerve sensitivity.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Coolsculpting and re-treatment

Coolsculpting has fabulous results with non-invasive technology.  The discomfort for that length of time is much longer than I have ever seen or heard of.  I would consult a specialist in Coolsculpting before repeating the procedure.  Best, Dr. Green

Do Another CoolSculpting Treatment Or Not?

Hi Jeff. It is definitely unusual to have numbness after CoolSculpting that persists for 6 months. The longest we have had anyone tell us they had numbness was 6 weeks. Even with that, it got progressively better each day and ultimately resolved. There is no predicting whether you will experience the same effects with an additional treatment. What we do know is that in all cases this does completely resolve. I don't think there is a concern for permanent nerve damage. Ultimately, the decision for having another treatment is completely up to you. Hope this helps.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon