Will the columella shorten so that my tip wouldn't be as high after open rhinoplasty?

I'm about 2 1/2 months into my open rhinoplasty and I'm still very worried about my nostril show. I feel like the surgeon made my columella way to long which made my tip very high... Is it possible that pushing down on the tip of my nose will somehow shorten my columella or is it even possible to mold your nose on your own after rhinoplasty? Also, is it because of my columella that my nostrils are more oval/long ? because before my surgery, it was a very circular shape... I'm very worried about this too..

Columella length during rhinoplasty

Thanks for your inquiry.  I would not recommend manipulating your nose after rhinoplasty, unless directed by your surgeon, because the nose will continue to change over the course of a year.  The tip may drop a little bit in that time, too.  I would follow up with your plastic surgeon to voice any concerns you might have.  I hope this helps. 

POST RHINOPLASTY CONCERNS

Dear ioplim23,  You can not manipulate your nose to make changes. There are exercises surgeons will show you to help with the healing process but these do not include pushing down on the columella. You will need to wait for the healing process to resolve to determine what your final result will be. In the interim discuss your concerns with your surgeon as he/she knows best where you are in the recovery phase and what your proposed results were. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Excessive tip elevation causing oblong oval nostrils

The more the tip is raised, the more the nostrils become oblong or oval.  Hopefully you and your surgeon will strike a balance between correction of what was a plunging tip and preservation of a desired nostril shape.

Brent Moelleken, MD

ioplim23,Your questions regarding your columella are excellent. It would be extremely helpful to see photographs both before and after. It would be even better to ask your surgeon these questions. I would not recommend molding your nose on your own. There are exercises and other techniques; however they need to be performed under doctor supervision. Ask your doctor about techniques appropriate for you. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon