Is Philips Lumea SC2009/00 IPL Cordless Hair Removal Device suitable to be used by dark skinned people?

is Philips Lumea SC2009/00 IPL Cordless Hair Removal Device suitable to be used by dark skinned people?

At home devices

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question Lindatouman. I understand your concern. IPL is a great treatment for facial rejuvenation. It can also be used for permanent hair reduction. I have found that at-home devices are relatively ineffective and I advise my patients against them. Those with darker skin types must be more careful as there is a risk for hyperpigmentation. This is why it is important to see a professional. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

IPL and dark skin

IPL  can be used safely in dark skin, but requires modifications of pulse width and fluence (energy).   The Phillips home device, is by nature lower powered, and safe, but not as effective as professional treatments.  It appears that the device settings may be modified based on skin and hair type. Their FAQ section  can be found online and lists the model types that are safe and dark skin hair. It looks that the 2009 is acceptable. 

Melanin, the pigment in our skin, is the target for this light around the hair follicle and shaft causing hair follicle destruction. Darker skin types have more melanin, and more treatments are usually required. 

Best wishes 

Daniel J. Givens, MD
Dubuque Facial Plastic Surgeon