I am scheduled for breast lift, augmentation, lipo of abdomen, back and hips Wednesday!!! (photos)

I am afraid I am making the wrong decision and need to have a full tummy tuck instead. The recovery is too long and my youngest is 1 so I'm limited for help. Do you think having lipo on my abdomen will be a waste of time and money and should I go back for a tummy tuck at a later time??? Frazzeled and I want to look amazing again. Please advise!!!

Lift, Aug, and Lipo to Look Amazing?

Based on your photos I would not expect you to look amazing after having liposuction. I hope that your surgeon was very clear about the limitations of that procedure for someone like yourself. You have far too much loose skin to be a good candidate for liposuction. A tummy tuck would be a much more beneficial procedure. Yes there is typically more cost and recovery time, but having a surgical procedure that will not provide the correction you need is generally a poor strategy over the long run. Better to wait some time until you have the help you need, loose a little weight, and then have a tummy tuck. Then you will have a much better chance to look amazing.

Consult your plastic surgeon and take some time to fully consider your goals.

Thanks for your question. Judging from your pictures, it looks as though you may benefit from a tummy tuck/lipo combination, depending on what your specific goals are. It’s also important that you feel confident in your ability to give yourself the necessary recovery time, so if you’re worried that you won’t have adequate help with your children, you may want to consider postponing your procedure until you feel that the time is right. If you have any apprehensions at all, I would suggest letting your plastic surgeon know and consider waiting on your mommy makeover until you’re sure of the procedures you want. Definitely don’t rush yourself into anything. Best of luck.

Lipo vs Tummy Tuck

Based on your photos I would not consider Liposuction to be a good choice for you. Your skin is already loose and Liposuction will result in hanging skin. You are an excellent Tummy Tuck candidate if done by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with lots of experience with this procedure. Hopefully you saw lots of pictures of your surgeons actual patients and you know what your results will look like before you spent any money or time in recovery. It is best to wait and do the right procedure when you are able.

James A. Hoffman, MD
Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover - Tummy Tuck vs Lipo?

Thank you for your question. A tummy tuck would give you far better results than liposuction alone. Hopefully, your board certified plastic surgeon reviewed the limitations of liposuction and clearly discussed the results you should expect. You would benefit from skin excision in addition to the liposuction. Hope this helps.

Abdominal Liposuction

You are so right, you are a good candidate for a TT and lipoosuction alone will leave you with loose and uneven skin and if done overaggressively will leave you with surface contour damage that cannot be repaired. Hopefully your surgeon told you all this in the beginning and you "talked him into a bad choice." Most of us would have declined to do the liposuction simply because it is such a bad choice for you. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy tuck a better choice

Thank you for your question.  Your photos demonstrate excess skin and adiposity at your abdomen.  Liposuction would leave more excess loose skin.  It seems that you would be better served with an abdominoplasty which would re-contour and tighten your abdomen.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Your pictures would suggest that abdominoplasty is a much better choice.  I would talk to your board certified plastic surgeon to understand the difference.  you would be better off waiting and save up for the right operation and I would not do liposuction first, that would only make the abdominoplasty more difficult later. 

Good Luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and augmentation - but is the liposuction a bad choice?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• This is a very wise question -
  • Your photo suggests you need the tummy tuck as you suspect.
  • Having liposuction will not make you look 'amazing' - and may leave loose skin.
  • Just let your surgeon know that you want to post-pone the liposuction and have a tummy tuck later on.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Abdominoplasty a much better choice for abdominal contour than liposuction in a postpartum female.

I think I would save and prepare for an abdominoplasty which would be a much better choice in liposuction. I think you'd be disappointed in the lesser operation.

Liposuction vs. Abdominoplasty

An in-person evaluation is the only proper way to determine what is best for a patient, but based on your photos, a tummy tuck would provide the best outcome.  You will have some improvement from liposuction alone, but will still have excess skin on the abdomen.  If you are hoping to look "tight and flat" after surgery,  I recommend reconsidering your options.  

Carmen Kavali, MD