Can I have the Ultherapy treatment after receiving Voluma?

I recently had Voluma injected under my eye bags on both sides of my face & to make my cheeks look lifted & remove the line under the bags on my cheeks. The Voluma corrected the problem & my cheeks are now smooth. I want to try Ultherapy treatment on the lower half of my face but I am worried that the heat from the treatment will undo or harm the results of the Voluma. Will this happen?

Use Caution

It is best not to treat the area that was injected with Voluma. If you are only treating your lower face, where Voluma was not injected then you will be fine. It is best to consult with your physician first, since they will know exactly where they put the filler. Good luck!

Delray Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultherapy in combination with Voluma

Hi there, 

I would wait about 3 weeks before proceeding with any laser treatments after receiving Voluma injections. Ultherapy is safe and effective in tightening, lifting and reducing fine lines on the face, neck and brows. 

When you are exploring the options of a facial procedure, make sure that you also explore the right type of cosmetic physician to perform your procedure. A facial plastic surgeon is a cosmetic doctor that is an expert strictly in the head and neck, which is where Ultherapy is indicated to treat. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

No negative effects

Good afternoon and thanks for the question,

In my experience there is no negative effects of having ultherapy treatment after a voluma treatment. I would advise waiting a few weeks before having the ultherapy treatment and make sure you get consultation from a certified ultherapy technician.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Ultherapy + Filler

It is absolutely fine to have Ultherapy after filler injections. However, it is important to have treatment by an experienced Ultherapy technician.  Filler can be visualized on the ultrasound so the Ultherapist can avoid the Voluma.  The Ultherapy uses transducers to heat up the tissue to 60 degrees Celsius so this could theoretically ruin filler if your technician is not reading the ultrasound.  Also, Voluma is a thick filler that is typically injected deep along the periosteum (bone).  The deepest Ultherapy transducer is 4.5 mm and probably will not reach the Voluma.  In our practice we use Ultherapy + Filler daily with no issues.  Please go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in person consultation.  Good Luck! 

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Ultherapy and fillers

Ultherapy can still be used after having fillers. it's very important that you find and experienced and skillful medical provider for treatment.

Ultherapy

Hello, and thank you for your question. As a general rule in our practice we wait a minimum of 4 weeks following any injections to consider one of these treatments. Over the past several years we have not found a problem to treat people following injectable fillers. You can discuss with your treating physician. Best of luck.

John J. O'Brien, Jr., MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Getting Ultherapy After Receiving Voluma

Hi Ruby. Voluma is usually placed in the deeper tissues and is usually avoided when doing an Ultherapy treatment. You should have no problem getting Ultherapy and the two will work together to provide a nice result. Please see an experienced provider. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Ultherapy for the Win--in combination with fillers

Ultherapy doesn't negatively affect the facial fillers, in some instances it can help the fillers give more lift and collagen production. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Is Ulthera ok after satisfactory Voluma restoration?

Hello rubygirl88,

Thank you for your question and sharing your concern. We have treated many patients successfully with Ultherapy who have had Voluma placed prior. Proceeding with Ulthera in the manner you have indicated (lower face, possibly neck?) would be okay. Skilled practitioners with this technology can treat these areas very effectively and in most instances work around the filler in that it can be seen on the ultrasound which is used as part of the treatment. Additionally Voluma is placed typically deeper than the "heat" created by the ultrasound reaches. Having the treatment done at the same facility that did your Voluma will help planning your treatment greatly. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Ultherapy after Voluma

because Voluma is thick and used for volumizing, it is usually injected against the bone and very deep. The maximum depth of penetration from Ultherapy is 4.5 mm and Voluma in your upper cheeks is likely deeper than this. I would not have Ultherapy done around the eyes in your case as 1. You seem to be happy with your result and 2. The ultrasonic heat applied to such thin skin can possibly destroy the Voluma in the area. However, doing ultherapy to your lower face and neck should not be a problem. Ideally, go with the same practice that did the Voluma as the practitioners can clearly communicate where the Voluma was injected. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon