Breast augmentation from saline to silicone. Any suggestions?

Hello, In a few weeks I will be having my current 420cc sailene implants replaced with silicone. What are the pros and cons of ultra high profile implants? I am currently a C cup and want to be a D cup, during my consult my surgeon suggested high profile implants, since I was undecided I went back a few days later to try on implants and his assistant suggested 535cc or 590cc UHP implants, I am really undecided with what size to get also on getting HP or UHP. I am 31, weigh 123, 5'5.... Suggestions please.

High profile or UHP?

It really depends on your anatomy and what risks you are accepting of.  UHP implants have a greater tendency to stretch your tissues out in undesirable ways which may necessitate needing a breast lift and downsizing later on.  So if the HP implants fit, I would always choose that over the UHP.  I exceed natural base diameters as needed, especially if there is a large gap between the mounds... but I still use measurements to determine what implant profile will work best.  So go with your surgeon's suggestion and not the assistant, unless an experienced surgeon too.

Ultra high profile implants or just High Profile implants

Hi Cathy,Thanks for your question. Photos would help in your assessment. I am not a fan of ultra high profile implants unless it is for cancer patients and the patients need more upper pole. In people with breast tissue the high and ultra high profile thin your natural breast tissue in order to have the size that you wanted placed in a small frame. A good and bad thing. Good because your getting the size that you want but a bad thing as the your breast tissue begins to thin out and later in life that only thing left is implants and skin. But it ultimately depends on what you want! I tell my patients that if your going from saline to silicone you need to upsize to keep the same look and then go up at least 100-150cc for an incrrease in size to due the gel fill and saline fill ratio. Hope this helps!   All the best, Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS #HighProfile #UltraHighProfile Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Silicone to saline exchange

Almost certainly you will be happy with the change from saline to silicone. 100% of my patients that have changed from saline to silicone are amazed at how much more natural the silicone implants feel. The choice between ultra-high profile and high profile is usually based on the base diameter of your breast. I usually try to keep the implant diameter at about 1 cm less than your current breast diameter as a rule. Your surgeon will determine this. Either way, I'm sure you will be happy with your result.Best wishes,
Dr K

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

Going from saline to silicone breast implants

Thank you for your question. My patients who switch from saline to silicone report a near 100% satisfaction rate. They describe having their breasts feel and look more natural and less artificial.  In addition, a silicone will be less firm compared to a saline implant. Although it's difficult to give you an opinion regarding the choice between a high versus ultrahigh implant, I generally stay away from the ultra high shape.  The latter implants tend to have a very unnatural look with a very high projection and compressed base giving it a cylinder or torpedo-type breast. Good luck in your journey and make sure you choose a board-certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in breast augmentation surgeries. 

Sean T. Lille, MD

Saline to silicone

This is a difficult to answer what you need without seeing you in person or at least looking at your current photos and what your goal look is.  I would recommend you reposting your photos and what your ideal result would look like so we can answer this question better. Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Saline to silicone implant exchange

First, I agree changing your saline implants to silicone is a good idea.  The size of the new implants should be the decision of your surgeon at the time of the surgery, assuming obviously that you have explained what your ultimate size desire endpoint should be.

Size not as important as fit

Thanks for the great question. Breast augmentations are more complicated than a lot of surgeons make them out to be. A lot of patients, and doctors get fixated on the implant size, but putting a huge implant in someone isn't going to get a good result most of the time. In my opinion, your doctor should be taking breast measurements to see which implant is going to fit your breast tissue the best. Without seeing you in person, it's difficult to tell what size range you would fit into. I am working on publishing a paper now which will give providers a range of size and projection of implants for a patient based on their specific breast measurements. Make sure you see an experienced plastic surgeon for your surgery. Best of luck!~Dr. Sieber

Which implant is correct for you

Which implant is ideal for you is determined by your chest and breast dimensions and comparing this to the implant dimensions you choose. Chest and implant measuring is not trivial and critical to getting the results you desire.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Tissues-based measurement For breast augmentation

thank you for your question. It is rather difficult to completely comment on your question and give you a proper answer without seeing you in person or even looking at some pictures. I want you to understand but upsizing to a much larger implant you will have a very high breasts and I rather fake look depending  on your measurements. This is why I base all of my breast augmentations on each individual patient and their individual measurements.  By doing this the augmentation fits each individual's body and does not look awkward or fake and gives a long-lasting result.

Extra high profile

The narrow base extra high profile should be considered when deciding on final volume. Check out the base diameters of existing size versus new replacement implant. Best of luck 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS