How soon after Alar base reduction can I have a Tip Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I just had an Alar base reduction 2 weeks ago and I wanted to know when is the best time for me to have a Tip Rhinoplasty? I was supposed to have it done at the same time but I changed my mind because felt I didn't need it before. I'm thinking of having the surgery after my 1 month post op. Is it okay or is it still too soon? Thanks

Rhinoplasty Candidate

Dear marlonlim25, You may want to consider having a full rhinoplasty. When you start adjusting certain aesthetic aspects of the nose like refining the tip and reducing the alar base then the bridge will appear out of proportion. I would seek consultation with some experts and have imaging performed to show you the proposed changes and then make a decision. Regarding your time frame I would suggest at least two to three months for the swelling to fully dissipate. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

How soon after Alar base reduction can I have a Tip Rhinoplasty?

Hello marlonlim25 - Thanks for your question. I would recommend that you wait 2-3 months to have your tip rhinoplasty. You want the surrounding tissues to return to normal prior to performing tip surgery, especially if your surgeon wants to perform an open tip rhinoplasty. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

How soon after alar base reduction can I have a tip rhinoplasty?

It's probably best to wait 2 to 3 months after and alar base wedge resection in order to undergo a tip rhinoplasty. It's important that all of the swelling has subsided before undergoing another nasal procedure.

How long after an alar wedge excision can I have a rhinoplasty?

Since an alar wedge excision only affects the base of the nose, you could have a tip or rhinoplasty done at anytime. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tip rhinoplasty after alar base reduction

1 month should be adequate to wait following alar base reduction to have tip rhinoplasty. Please see examples below of tip rhinoplasties.

Arian Mowlavi, MD