Will popping a stitch cause liquid to drain a different color?

I am 4 days PO from a full tummy tuck with Lipo. I was coughing (holding stomach) and I felt a pop on my left side. Prior to the pop my drains were A pink-yellow color. Now after the pop the drain returned red. I called the emergency number and the dr on call said it was fine, but I'm still nervous. Any advice?

Bloody Drainage

Based on your story, you may have pulled a deep stitch through a blood vessel or caused some additional bleeding. As long as your exam has not changed appreciably, I think it is OK. Monitor drain output and seek attention as soon as possible.

From your history, your coughing episode may have started some bleeding.  You need to be seen by your plastic surgeon to see is this drainage is significant or not.  Best wishes. 

Jeanette Padgett, MD, FACS
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and liposuction - bloody drainage after I coughed

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and liposuction.
  • You truly should be reporting this to your own surgeon -
  • If you were my patient, I'd want to talk with you at least and maybe to see you.
  • It sounds as though your cough caused some bleeding.
  • Your surgeon will want to know what color the fluid is now, if you are swollen and what is causing the cough.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS