What can be done to achieve a youthful and feminine look? (Photo)

Being an 18 year old girl, I shouldn't be looking old and masculine when looking in the mirror. I look haggish with my nose. And I look masculine with my flat forehead and protruding brow. My face looks like it sliding to the side (my uneven brow and cooked nose), making me look unproportional. I desire a version of me to be more feminine, proportional, youthful looking.

Changing your nose can make your face more feminine and youthful, but you've got to be careful...

... in selecting your doctor. I'll discuss why shortly.

First, see the "Web reference" link, below. I made a computer modification and animation of the changes I recommend to your nose, all along the lines of making your face more feminine and youthful. I brought the tip of your nose back closer to your face, elevated the tip, took down the bump on the bridge, and -- very important -- reduced the strength of your nose up high, just below your eyebrows. If the nose is made smaller as I drew, but that top part isn't addressed, your nose could look like a Roman statue's nose, flowing from the forehead down onto the nose without a little dip or break under the eyebrows. I hope I explained that okay.

The tip of the nose comes down with time, so we interpret a long nose as being on an older face, and thus elevating the tip makes the face appear more youthful. It also makes the face appear more feminine.

Now back to the caveat about selecting your doctor. The *amount* of change needed in your nose is more than in an "average-y" rhinoplasty, and most plastic surgeons would not have the skill to accomplish it with expertise. You need to see lots of before and after photos of the doctor's work, so you can gauge the doctor's skill. 

I would *not* increase the size of your chin. Maybe it doesn't come as far forward as on that Roman statue, but it has excellent shape, and when the nose gets smaller, the chin will automatically look larger, and I'd be concerned that adding strength to an already-great chin would go the wrong way and masculinize your face.

I think everything else looks great: you've got dynamite cheekbones, huge eyes. The *vertical* height of your chin, from your mouth to the bottom of the chin, is small, and that's a feminine feature. I personally don't see a protruding brow, looks fine to me. And the asymmetry doesn't bother me at all either: it's so small, really, and almost everybody has some amount of asymmetry.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

We are our greatest critics...

I would choose only one procedure for you. One procedure that would change your entire outlook on how you look. That would be rhinoplasty. It is one of the few procedures that can completely transform how you and others perceive your face. In my opinion, feminizing your nose will give you a great result: reducing the bump on the bridge, raising the tip, and narrowing your nose would be the best combination of maneuvers for you.

The before-and-after pictures shown in the link below are from one of my patients who felt exactly as you do. She also felt like everyone thought she was angry or upset all the time. After nose surgery, you can see how the perception of her emotional state is completely transformed. She looks (and feels) happier.

Good luck!

Anand D. Patel, MD
Brookfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin implant for better profile

The photographs demonstrates a overly projecting nose with a dorsal hump, and a weak and recessive chin profile. A closed rhinoplasty approach can address shaving down the dorsal hump which is composed of both bone and cartilage. The tip of the nose can be de-projected, narrowed and refined. A small chin implant can be inserted through submental approach to give added projection to the chin to help with facial balance and proportions, especially with respect to the overly projecting nose. The combination of a rhinoplasty and chin implant will help significantly with facial balance and proportions.

Facial Feminization

Without question a rhinoplasty and chin augmentation will go a long way in softening by your face and making it look more feminine. Ideally your asymmetrical brows could benefit also by a browlift. Together these three procedures are the mainstay of your surgical facial feminization plan

More youthful looks

A closed reduction rhinoplasty will address the convex dorsum,, tip and over projection.
You would also greatly benefit from a chin implant.
Fuller lips would also be something to think of. A good aesthetician  for skin and makeup and a hair stylist  will also improve your appearance

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

What can be done to achieve a youthful and feminine look?

Hi, I undertand and can appreciate your frustration.  From the photos your nose is a bit large with a dorsal hump and wide nasal tip; the chin is weak making the nose appear larger; the upper lip is thin and the left cheek is more flat and narrow than the right side.  These together give you the overall impression of looking a bit masculine.  The good news is there are solutions that can make you look more feminine which I have listed below.

• Rhinoplasty to reduce the size, thin and refine the nose.
  • Chin augmentation with a chin implant to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.
  • Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (Restylane Lyft) to create full, round cheeks anteriorly (in the front) that will feminize the entire face.
  • Upper lip augmentation using a dermal filler (Retsylane, Juvederm) that will plump up the lips thereby softening the lower face.  

Looking prettier

Babybat, recall that we tend to be our own worst critics but to get to your point a nose job, chin procedure would be helpful. Note that the R side of your face is larger than the L (very common) and for that a good hair dresser and make up person is quite helpful. A girl's got to do what a girls got to do! For surgery make sure you see an experienced facial plastic specialist- look at their photos before you visit! Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial feminization with rhinoplasty, chin implant and mini brow lift.

Facial feminization with rhinoplasty, chin implant and mini brow lift. These procedures done by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will give you a much more feminine and attractive look. Look at before after photos of several surgeons who do facial feminization for natural looking results.

How to look more feminine and youthful

The key to facial aesthetics is "balance". Almost everyone has some differences in the  size or shape of one or more facial bones. When one or more is disproportionately different, then correction can bring things back into a more balanced or harmonious condition. Your nasal size and shape are not in balance with your otherwise petite features. A reduction rhinoplasty would not only straighten the nose but also give you a softer,more feminine look. A chin implant would give you a much more balanced profile. A small left cheek implant would help the apparent difference in the size of  your cheek bones.
John Standefer MD 

Rhinoplasty is a good start

It appears that you could benefit from a rhinoplasty and a possible chin implant, this will improve your asymmetry. Be sure to seek the help of a board certified surgeon, preferably a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon