Went 50cc over Largest Size the PS Recommended. What Should I Do?

I originally wanted 350cc but my coordinator failed me. My first coordinator either quit or got fired. When my second coordinator picked me up she did not return my phone calls. I was told to come to them with questions but when i did she told me that we already discussed it and asked why i was asking the same question twice. At the last minute i decided on 450 bc everyone said go bigger. Now what? How soon can i downsize and is it any less expensive for a redo?

Doctor Answers 5

Breast augmentation revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As frustrating as I know it is, I would also recommend waiting approximately 6 months before undergoing a revional surgery.  This will allow you to heal completely so you are ready to undergo a second surgery.  You should also meet with your PS and express your concerns with your decision and how their staff treated you.  I think it is important for physicians to know where their weaknesses lie in order to improve.  I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck!

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel 

Breast implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I recommend my patients wait at least six months prior to an implant size change. One reason is to allow the tissue to stabilize. Another, and more practical reason, is to allow you time to think about what you want to do and consider all options and make sure you are comfortable with your decision.  You may decide that you like the larger size after all.  Most importantly, you want to make sure you  don't make a hasty choice.  You certainly do not want to undergo a third operation.  As far as the costs of the procedure, every case is different and every plastic surgeon has a different policy.

Replascement of breast Implants with smaller Implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I'm sorry to hear that you feel your breast implants are too large.  I agree with my colleagues that I would suggest waiting about six months before replacing them with smaller implants.  It not uncommon for patients to initially feel their implants are too large and a few months later change their mind regarding the size.  Usually, most plastic surgeons will charge less to remove and replace breast implants than the original surgery.  Best of luck.

Implant Revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sorry for your distress over the sizing.  You will have to balance the cost (even though it would probably be less than the original surgery), the discomfort, and the inconvenience versus the benefit of a smaller implant. You should wait at least 6 months from the date of implantation before proceeding. Consult with your surgeon and consider carefully your options before proceeding with revision surgery.

50 cc larger implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The  timing of revsional breast surgery depends on several factors.  If the issue is just .about decreasing the implants 50 cc, I would caution you to wait at least 6 months to decide if you want another operation to reduce the implant volume by what amounts to a "shot glass".  In general, most people would only have a small change in breast shape if that was done. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.