Facelift recovery time?

I am scheduled for a facelift 4 1/2 months before my 50th reunion. Part of the activities will be in my private park. So no matter what I will have to be there. What are the odds my incisions, bruising and swelling will be gone so I look natural. Or would you recommend having the surgery after the reunion to be on the safe side.

Facelift 4 1/2 months before a reunion

Thats absolutely fine. I tell my patients they are 'restaurant ready' after about 7-10 days after the procedure (depending what was done along with the facelift), it does not mean they are completely healed, but they can easily camouflage most of the work by then. At 4.5months after the procedure, you will be nicely healed, with a small amount of residual numbness around the ears (which should recover completely) and mild bumps on the incision behind the ears. Good luck!

Facelift recovery time?

The majority of the physical recovery from a facelift is finished in 2 weeks, but that does not necessarily mean you are completely healed and have no restrictions.  Some of your regular physical activities may be delayed for up to 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery.

The timeline for going out in public, meeting friends or acquaintances, or attending functions where you are under more "scrutiny" is a different issue and is known as social comfort.  Most people will follow the 2 week time period for meeting close friends or going back to work.  However, weddings, reunions, important business meetings or other events may extend the timeline another 4 to 6 weeks.  However, everyone's social comfort level is different but most typically fall within these time periods.

In your case 4 1/2 months will be plenty of time.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Recovery after a Facelift

Most people recover in two to three weeks. During this time, bruises heal and swelling goes down. You want to take it easy and avoid vigorous activity.
It's normal to feel some numbness and muscle stiffness for some time, and complete return of sensation may take several months. Scars can sometimes take nearly a year to fade and soften. Most patients experience little discomfort after a face lift, but will still appear bruised and swollen for a few days. If you feel discomfort, you will be given medication for pain.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Facelift recovery time

Even if you had a minor complication, I believe this will be enough time for patients to get to a function like that and look awesome.

Facelift recovery time

That should be just fine, it is plenty of time. In our practice all of our patients are back to normal activities within 4-6 weeks so you should be fine. You may have some resolving numbness around the ears but look fine.
Ask to speak to former patient if you feel the need to be more comfortable with the experience. Hope you have an enjoyable experience.

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Recovery Time

Discuss your plans with your plastic surgeon before your surgery, as he/she will know best what the surgical plan is and how to counsel you. He/she can make recommendations about sun protection, activities, expectations for scar color, etc.

In general I expect my own facelift patients to be well recovered, presentable, and able to participate in physical activities by 4 1/2 months after surgery. Following postoperative instructions is an essential part of the recovery process, since doing too much too early can result in a complication, which delays recovery and can compromise the final result. Teamwork is essential for the best recovery!

Click on the link below to see a facelift patient after recovery.

Have fun at your 50th reunion! 

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Facelift recovery time?

4 1/2 months is plenty of time to recover from a facelift before your big event. Incisions will be well healed by then. Bruising and swelling dissipate within weeks of surgery. Thank you for your question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Facelift recovery

Having a facelift 4 1/2 months before your reunion should allow for plenty of time for your face to heal. In general, I tell my patients they can be ready for an important event within 3 to 4 weeks of the facelift. To give you a better idea of what to expect from the healing process overall, here are some general guidelines, but do keep in mind this can vary from one patient to another:

• Expect bruising for the first 7-14 days after surgery. Individuals with lighter complexions tend to experience more bruising.
  • Initial swelling lasts for approximately 7-21 days. There is a significant amount of variability in the length of time a patient is swollen, dependent upon the surgical techniques, the individual's healing process, and the actual surgeries performed. 
  • Secondary healing process typically begins after the initial swelling resolves and may take up to 6 months for everything to settle and finalize. 

Best of luck with your facelift and enjoy your 50th reunion. 

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Go for it!

In general, recovery from a standard facelift is about 1-2 weeks before you are presentable.It can take up to 4-6 weeks for the incisions to fade.If your recovery is uneventful (i.e., no complications or wound healing issues), 4 ½ months is plenty of time to undergo a facelift and be ready for your reunion.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Recovery Time

Congratulations on your 50th reunion!  Four months should be ample time to be completely recovered from your facelift. Enjoy your event.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon