Can I resume normal activities month after rhinoplasty ?

I'm taking extra precaution after my surgery but would love to be a more active. Is it safe to play tennis and lay out in the sun a month after rhino?

Avoid Direct Sunlight and Choose Safe Sports

It's very common to feel restless after plastic surgery, especially since many patients are already active people. But when you get antsy, remember all the work you've already put in to your recovery. It's important to avoid activities that could potentially harm your results. Tennis and other sports that run the risk of a ball smacking into your face are not the best choices, and I recommend avoiding these types of activities for about 6 weeks or so after surgery. Other activities, such as weightlifting or running, are fine to resume at the 1-month mark. Too much sun exposure can interfere with your scar development, leading to an exceptionally dark or prominent scar. Please take care to protect your face with a mineral-based sunscreen if you do venture outdoors, and reapply often. 

Tucson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, you should be fine to resume those activities.

Actually, I allow my patients to resume full physical activity as soon as the splint comes off, 6 to 7 days after surgery. For at least 6 weeks, I do ask patients to avoid activities where their nose might get hit, such as volleyball. In terms of being out in the sun, although it is commonly recommended to avoid sun during the recovery, there is actually data from animal studies that sun exposure is actually not a problem, although I do ask my patients to avoid sunburn.

Activities Post Rhinoplasty

I allow my patients to start exercising 3-4 weeks post-surgery if there are no complications. Always consult with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon on when to resume exercising. #drrodrohrich#plasticsurgery#rhinoplasty

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Swelling , some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Hello, and thank you for the question. In general, it is best to avoid strenuous activity for 4-6 weeks after surgery. Not adhering to this guideline can cause additional swelling and may potentially cause bleeding. It is best to avoid sun exposure for 6 months after surgery. If you must be in the sun during that time, it is important to wear sunscreen. Any mineral based, chemical free sun protection that contains zinc and/or titanium dioxide will usually be non-irritating, water resistant, and will not run. I would recommend speaking to your surgeon, as he/she may have specific guidelines for you to follow. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhino and sports

In most cases, light activity is fine at 4-6 weeks. Usually sunblock is best because the skin can be very sensitive to the sun. Best to review with your surgeon.

Check with your surgeon about activity after rhinoplasty

Each surgeon has his or her own post-rhinoplasty protocol. You should ask your surgeon about your specific postop details. For my patients, I tell them to avoid heavy lifting for 2 weeks and contact sports for 6 weeks.  Happy healing!

Activity after Rhinoplasty

Our rhinoplasty patients have returned by now to their normal activities including tennis and summer joys - with sun protection, of course. But of course, you want to double-check with your surgeon's advice which may differ.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon