Weight Loss After Tummy Tuck?

I have gone from 425 to 185 Lbs. I have a lot of muscle and am very large boned. (wrists 8.5 in) I was a body builder before a back injury. I am in need of a tummy tuck and breast lift with implants. I am worried that if I lose more weight after surgery that I will be saggy again. I am best at a weight of 165 Lbs because I do have so much muscle (lifting again) The only area that I have fat is the extra skin in my belly. Also very deflated breasts.

Ideal Weight for a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Tummy tuck and weight loss

240 pounds weight loss!  That's quite an accomplishment!  You used the word 'deflated' in referring to your breasts, but my guess is you may be able to use that word regarding the central part of your body as well.  A tummy tuck might provide a terrific result, but it's also possible that a more circumferential approach like a lower body lift or belt lipectomy may be even more beneficial.  If you have loose tissue that extends all the way to your sides and back, you might want to consider something more than a standard tummy tuck.  I suggest to patients that the best time for these types of procedures is when they are at a weight at which they realistically will be able to maintain themselves, give or take 5 or 10 pounds.  Your results will absolutely change to some degree after your surgery even if you do not lose weight after the procedure.  People who lose the amount of weight you lost have skin and tissues that are stretchy.  No matter how much skin and tissue is removed at surgery, whatever skin and tissue remain will still have this stretchy characteristic.  So, tissues loosen a bit after a few months.  In my experience women love their results, but we prepare them that their tissues will loosen somewhat.  If you do lose 20 or more pounds after this type of surgery your results probably will be a bit looser than you might optimally want, but you'll still likely be quite happy with your result.  You have been undergoing an amazing transformation.  This type of surgery can be wonderful for helping complete the 'metamorphosis'! 

Kelly R. Kunkel, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss after tummy tuck

Hello, thank you for your question, and congratulations on the weight loss! I normally advise my patients to be as close to their goal weight as possible prior to a tummy tuck procedure, however, as mentioned in a previous post, I don't think that 20 lbs in your scenario would make a difference.  There was also a recent study in the February issue of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery that discussed findings on how a tummy tuck procedure may actually lead to significant and lasting weight loss in women who were over weight or obese prior to surgery.  The study suggested that this was due to a combination of feeling full and satieted after eating and possible "neuroendocrine mechanisms" that may promote additional weight loss after the tummy tuck.  If you truly ended up with additional skin after another big drop in weight, you could more than likely have that extra skin excised in a surgery performed in-office under some local anesthetic.   Best of luck to you!

Tanya Aya Atagi, MD
Lone Tree Plastic Surgeon

Losing Weight After Tummy Tuck Surgery?

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment. Although challenging, I would suggest you continue your healthy lifestyle and achieve as close as possible to a “long-term stable weight” prior to proceeding with surgery.

Weight Loss After Tummy Tuck?

Photos would help, but I do think that another 20 pounds is highly unlikely to make much of a difference in your contour. Based upon your description, you may lose 10 of those pounds with the TT. 

This is probably the time to start looking for a plastic surgeon with whom to consult. RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Tummy Tuck following Massive Weight Loss

A further 20 pound weight loss after a tummy tuck and breast lift may affect the final aesthetic result. Nevertheless, the psychological benefits of removing that extra skin and feeling better may be worth the downside of waiting to finally achieve your "ideal weight".  Visit a board certified plastic surgeon to weight the pros and cons of body contouring for your specific circumstances.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss after tummy tuck

First of all congratulations on your dramatic weight loss. At this point you are within 20 lbs of your goal weight and the tissue removed will contribute to a further reduction in your final weight.
Fluctuations in excess of 20lbs will certainly impact your cosmetic results but you are fairly close to your goal weight. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in body contouring after significant weight loss to help you decide on how to proceed. Continue whatever you are doing which led to your weight loss and start planning you surgery.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

With the weight fluctuation you have had, I do not think another 10-20 pound loss after a tummy tuck will make a significant difference. Obviously losing as much as you can before TT is best.

Tummy tuck

If the fat remaining is in the lower abdomen, then this fat and excess skin will be taken ouy, the muscles will be reaired and skin tightened. Breast lift with implant can be done at the same time. However you need to be in excellent health and clearedd for surgery by your family physician. All blood work should be done and be normal.

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

Hi MizzKitty. Congrats on your weight loss. Give yourself a pat on the back. You may not need to lose any more weight before your surgery. Go ahead and discuss this with your surgeon. Good luck for your procedures..Thomas Narsete, M.D.