I Weight 110 Lbs and Am 5'2 1/2, Almost 5'3. How Long Will It Take for Me to Recover After the Vaser Lipo Procedure?

I look thin with clothes on but when I am in a bikini I have a lot of fat in the tummy and hips. I am planning to get vaser lipo in my lower abdominal, upper abdominal and my hips to get a slimmer figure and flatter tummy. my doctor told me i am a good candidate for vaser lipo and that my recovery will only take a day ,some of her patients recover in a day as well and that it is not painful.I want to know if it will only take me a day to recover or more then that and after surgery is the pain unbearable?

Recovery After a Vaser Lipo Procedure

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Many studies indicate that there is less injury to the body with Vaser than with traditional #liposuction. Recovery from Vaser Liposuction is based on the level of soreness and bruising experienced by the patient. But, it can vary among patients. As with traditional liposuction, there are no large incisions  or effect on the muscle and other underlying tissue. Therefore, #healing time may be less than anticipated by most. Therefore, Vaser patients may experience less #pain or discomfort, #swelling (#edema) and bruising post procedure due to the nature of the technique.  

A quicker #recovery for a patient may be two to three weeks without any strenuous activity. This includes the short period of suggested rest of 12-24 hours soon following the procedure. #Exercise and activity are contingent on how the patient feels. Mild activity is not likely to hinder recovery or healing or create problems with recovery.  However, it is recommended to acquire your doctor's permission to do so. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  
The final results of the procedure are typically most noticeable 2-4 months following the #Vaser. So, you must have patience. The swelling will gradually diminish while the contours of the treated area(s) can continue to improve up to one year post procedure; becoming more apparent in appearance. If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined. 

VASER recovery

Recovering from VASER liposuction is not a matter of one day. Your body type, how much fat was removed, where it was removed, and other factors all way in on the recovery time. I typically suggest 12 hours of rest and 2-3 weeks of avoiding strenuous activities, but it varies from between every patient. Consult your surgeon for a more specific timeline.

Recovery after surgery takes ONE YEAR!

Being told recovery is only one day is absurd AND NOT A TRUTHFUL STATEMENT  Find another doctor.  This is simply not a truthful statement.  A tiny injection for vaccination is sore for a week often.  Liposuction including Vaser Liposuction means passing first the Vaser probe hundreds of times through the tissue and the the steel cannula hundreds of more times.  Recover take one year.  Yes, you can walk about and possibly drive in 3 or 4 days but the swelling takes 4 months to decrease to 25 % and at 6 months to 10% AND THE FINAL 10% OVER MONTHS 6 TO 12.   I am a very strong advocate of absolute truthfulness in all doctor - patient communication.  My best,  Dr C

Post-Vaser recovery

Vaser liposuction is an invasive surgery. It is true that it is done as a day case -so you come and go home on the same day providing there are not problems. But the actual healing process is very varying and depends on areas treated, amount of fat removed, type of Vaser (post High Def Vaser recovery is much slower). In our clinic we conducted a study on length of after Vaser recovery. You can read abour blog it on our blog below.

VASER Liposuction recovery

Having performed several thousand VASER liposuction procedures, I can realistically give you the following recovery from your procedure.  Also note that I am very aggressive in removing fat and creating a shapelier figure and perform VASER Hi-Def in a lot of patients.  Most patients will take between 3 to 5 days off from work.  Most patients take prescription pain pills for 3 to 5 days also then switch to motrin 600-800mg every 6-8 hours.  Typically, the majority of the swelling is gone in about 6-8 weeks but final result is between 4-6 months.  I typically allow patients to resume exercise in 2-3 weeks and you must wear a compressive garment for 2 months.  Lymphatic massage and external ultrasound help expedite the recovery process.  Most patients complain of tightness for several weeks following the procedure starting around week 2 from the scar tissue that forms.  Light stretching will help.  Good luck.

Jeffrey LaGrasso, MD

Recovery after VASER Liposuction

I've been performng VASER liposuction since the device became available and have performed over 300 cases at 2 different hospitals.

The majority of patients are same day , outpatient surgery and the overall complication rate is really low.

Nonetheless, even taking into account the amount and areas of the body treated, I have never had a patient completely recover in a day. VASER is less traumatic and has a quicker recovery than conventional liposuction, but on average patients will return to work in 3-7 days, no exercise for 2-3 weeks and will require oral pain medication for the first 3-5 days.

Please make sure you are going to a board-certified ABMS plastic surgeon who has at least performed 50 VASER procedures. Hope this helps, good luck.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

If you recover in one day, then very little fat would be removed.  The more dramatic results you want to achieve the longer the recovery.  The results of liposuction are highly surgeon dependent.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction and liposuction revision procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Vaser Lipo Recovery

Compared to traditional liposuction, Vaser liposuction surgery does result in faster recovery, and less bruising and pain. But, it is still surgery. And, to say that you will be "fully" recovered and be pain free in one day sounds like salesmanship, and not a truly realistic postoperative expectation. If you have very little fat to be removed, you may have a one day recovery experience. However, most patients have more than just a small amount of fat removed at the time of surgery. The more fat that is removed at the time of surgery requires more Vaser treatment time. This energy along with the post-Vaser treatment suctioning, does result in varying degrees of postop discomfort. Another consideration is that each patient responds differently to pain. Depending on your pain tolerance, you may or may not recover in a day. Thanks for sharing your questions. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD