Weighing pros and cons of when to get a TT. Spring, but getting back to work quickly, or summer break with kids at home. (photo)

I am a teacher, with a light class load, and am considering having the procedure done this spring, and returning to work 7-11 days after surgery.This is ideal because my children (age 2 and 4) will be in school all day, and I have family to help in the evening. The other option would be summer time, but my children won't be in school so it will leave me with more time with me as their primary care giver. Thoughts?

Recovering from a Mommy Makeover & Resuming Activity

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. 
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Weighing pros and cons of when to get a TT. Spring, but getting back to work quickly, or summer break with kids at home.

I think that an important factor in the recovery is that there is no strenuous activity including lifting for the first 6 weeks.  Either of these time periods may work but sometimes 2 weeks is necessary before a patient feels comfortable going back to work.

Time off after tummy tuck

Thanks for your question and picture.  A tummy tuck is an involved procedure that can have an extended recovery.  I tell all of my patients to plan on taking off 2 weeks of work no matter what they do.  I think trying to return to work 7-11 days after surgery may be pushing it.  You will also need help with your young children for at least 2 weeks as well and possibly for as long as 4 weeks.  Make sure you have all of your postoperative plans in place before proceeding with your surgery.  You will want to focus on yourself for some time after your tummy tuck.

Naveen Setty, MD

Allow 2 weeks recovery time for tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question.  The most important thing is for her to have 2 weeks of rest without vigorous physical activity.  From your description it seems that if you can get 2 weeks off of work from your job for your children are in school there might be less to demands on you. Be sure to discuss these options with your plastic surgeon.

More time off to recover from surgery is better option for you.

Simply put it is better to have a time cushion for recovery from tummy tuck.  I will recommend summer.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Recovery is important

Many of my patients are mothers and/or teachers. I prefer patients to have a full 2 weeks off of work. During those 2 weeks, my patients will likely have drains and walking slightly bent over. 

With young children at home, you will need someone to provide the majority of their category 2 weeks after surgery. 

Timing for a Tummy Tuck

Whenever you do the surgery you need to plan a full two weeks off work and off child care. This is a big operation and requires adequate time to heal before you go back to life's responsibilities.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Best timing for a TT

There is rarely a perfect time for surgical recovery. I have a couple of thoughts about your situation. A two and four year-old will be way too much work for you alone in the first week or two after surgery. On the other hand, I would be worried that 7-11 days might not be quite enough time to recover. The majority of tummy tuck patients can get back to work in the 10-14 day range. All patients are different and it would be impossible to predict (or promise) recovery time. All things considered, I would probably recommend having the surgery before the end of the school year (especially if there is a little flexibility on the number of days you can take off). 

Recovery after tummy tuck

Thanks for sharing your question and photos

It is very important to have adequate time to recuperate from a surgical procedure.  This is especially true with a tummy tuck.  Some patients heal slightly faster than others, but it is impossible to know who that will be.  The safest thing to do is plan surgery when you have time to recover appropriately.  In most cases it involves laying low for about 2 weeks, with light activity and walking around the house recommended, but not return to work. Between weeks 2-3 activity can increase slightly, and I tell patients to avoid core exercise, and heavy physical activity for 4 weeks.  Visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Best of Luck

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon