9 Weeks Post Op, Will my Breast Implants Drop More? (photo)

I was a 34 A and I am now a 34 C. I got 450 CC saline implants in both breasts. I am 9 weeks post op and my breast implants have dropped since my surgery. I still think they are high. Is this progress normal? Will they continue to drop? Stretch marks have appeared about 2 weeks ago. Anything I can do to help with the stretch marks?

Breast implant position and stretch marks after breast implant

Great questions.  I expect the implants to continue to drop a bit.  You should definitely talk to your surgeon, some of us recommend the use of a strap to encourage the implants to settle into a lower position.  The stretch mark issue is a little trickier.  Stretch marks are basically scars formed by rapid skin expansion.  You can't make them go away, but frequent massage can help them mature and look less obvious.  Talk to your surgeon for recommendations.

Breast Implants "Dropping" after Breast Augmentation?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast  augmentation procedure. Yes, you can expect the breasts to continue change (as the breast implants “settle”) over the course of the next few months.  The appearance of the stretch marks will improve over the course of several months/year.  Unfortunately, I do not know of any definitive treatment to  expedite this improvement in appearance.

Three

No matter the placement, your implants will drop after about three to four months. When implants are first inserted, they sit high up because your tissues are tight and gravity hasn't taken effect. Over time, natural tissue expansion occurs to allow the implants to fall into place. By this time, your breasts will have taken on a more natural contour, where the lower breasts become softer and rounder. Please wait at least four months for this to happen.This process tends to occur sooner in one breast than the other, so don't be alarmed if you find that your left drops before the right or vice versa.

Stretchmarks can be minimized by leading a healthy lifestyle. This helps the skin become more resilient and supple. Once they develop, they are harder to get rid of, though. Seek the assistance of a medical aesthetician to help deal with stretch marks, but only after you've recovered fully. 

9 weeks after breast augmentation.

No need to be concerned at this point.  Your implants will continue to drop over the next few months.  You should talk to your PS, but I would recommend breast massage exercises and possibly a breast band (bandeau). As others have stated there is no known treatment for the stretch marks.  Good luck. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Breast Implant Settling Process and Stretch Marks

Hello. Do not worry about the positioning of your implants after only nine weeks. It will be at least 3 months before you can get an idea of the final results and 6-9 months before the implants completely settle. During the recovery period the implants will change dramatically. Unfortunately, stretch marks sometimes appear with the placement of large implants and cannot be reversed. If you have any questions or concerns, be sure to consult your doctor.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Implant Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Hello

9 weeks post-surgery is still soon, you should be wearing a breast band to help the implants drop some more if that is what you want. This is very normal in breast augmentation surgeries. There is nothing that we know that can help stretch marks, sorry. Your implants will continue to drop if you help them. Ask you PS if he/she recommends a breast band and make sure you follow up closely and review your concerns with them.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

9 Weeks Post Op, Will my Breast Implants Drop More?

I would expect your implants to continue to "drop" over the next month or so--the rate is different for each patient. Expect to see less upper pole fullness, more fullness in the lower portion of the breasts. Continue your post op massage, etc., as suggested by your surgeon. 

As far as stretch marks go, there is not much clearly known for successful treatment.   You might check with your surgeon before trying any remedy.

Thanks for the question, and the photos.

Nine weeks post op. Will the breasts drop more?

Thank you for the photos. You are still very early in your post operative course. Breast implants tend to start dropping into place after 3 to 4 weeks. They usually will get to their final position in 6 to 12 months. One will drop faster than the other, also the shape may go through changes. Please follow your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon's post op instructions. For example; we like message, but some surgeons will have you wait, or do it in a specific manner. They may also have a cream they like for stretch marks.  Please also let them know your thoughts and concerns.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

9 Weeks Post Op

At 9 weeks post breast augmentation, it is possible that your breasts will drop a little more than they have thus far. This is completely natural and even expected at this stage of your recovery, as your body is getting more accustomed to the additional tissue and concentrated weight. Also, there are indeed topical treatments and laser techniques that can help with the darkness of your stretch marks. This is definitely something you should discuss with your surgeon at your next follow-up visit to get the most personalized recommendation.

Miguel Delgado, MD

9 weeks post op

Thank you for the question.You are still in the post operation recovery stage.It is not uncommon to feel pain, itchiness, and slight abnormalities during this period.It usually takes about 8-12 weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully settle.It would be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment if you have any concerns.Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS