4 Weeks Post Op Concerned with Asymmetry And/or Possible CC? (photo)

I had breast enlargement 4 weeks ago. I am concerned about the asymmetry and/or possible CC of left breast as I have pain on that side on being touched.Having now scrutinised my preop pics I believe I can see asymmetry but this was not mentioned prior to my surgery or what might have been possible to correct it. Is the asymmetry likely to improve at all over time? How bad is it in your opinions? Very sad Do all CC require surgery?Thank you 300cc Eurosilicone implants Subglandular placement

What do you think of my breasts?

You have a great result, and the asymmetry you see was present before surgery whether or not your surgeon mentioned it.  Focus on getting clothing that will help make the most of your new body.  Life is short, start enjoying some return on your investment.

Breast asymmetry

All breasts are somewhat asymmetric. It is still a bit early, and one breast looks a bit higher than the other but this again is a bit early.  Keep a close eye on it with your surgeon and give it a few months. You may need a revision.

Breast Asymmetry/Encapsulation?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I think you have legitimate concerns about the brest asymmetry and possible encapsulation;   it would be in your best interests to discuss these concerns directly with your plastic surgeon who  (after physical examination)  will be in the best position to make a diagnosis and advise you.

You should have some peace of mind however  that eventually your breast asymmetry can be improved upon.

4 weeks post op

Thank you for the question. You are still in the post operation recovery stage. It is not uncommon to feel pain,asymmetries, and swelling during this period. It usually takes about 8-12 weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully settle. You also don't appear to have symptoms of capsular contracture.  It would be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment for your concerns. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Asymmetry and possible capsular contracture

You should wait at least 4 months or so before assessing your results. Your breasts will continue to change a bit as they settle. Asymmetry of your natural breast contour before surgery is often enhanced after surgery, therefore you may want to discuss with your surgeon about this if it doesn't correct itself. A reduction or augmentation in one side to balance out your breasts may need to be required.

Capsular contracture involves a hardening of the breasts. If you find that this is the case for you, please see your surgeon asap.

Your preoperative asymmetry looks much improved after your breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs. From your photographs I am impressed that the breast augmentation has improved your preop asymmetry much more than I would have expected. At this early stage I doubt that a significant capsular contracture would have recurred.

I really think your result is excellent considering the significant asymmetry that you had before surgery. Be sure to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon, however it looks to me from the photographs that he or she did an excellent job.

Post op breast asymmetry

There seem to be several issues: your right breast seems slightly larger, wider and droopier (ptotic) prior to surgery, the asymmetry is more noticeable in pic 1, but seems to improve by pic 3.  When were the post op pics taken?  It seems that your left breast is "settling" and matching the right better by pic 3, but the slight volume difference may remain if the same size implants were used on each side...4 weeks post op is quite early and I would recommend patience at this time as things appear to be improving.  Remember that with breast surgery we try to get twins, but usually windup with sisters.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Pre Operative Asymmetry Likely To Exist Post Operatively

Thank you for your pre and post operative photographs.  As I view them, it appears that your left breast was higher than your right pre operatively.  This is a very common situation.  I am not sure why you have pain in the left breast.  That, at times, is a sign of capsular contracture, but the biggest sign is a hard breast which you didn't mention.  There is an increased chance of capsular contracture because your implant is above and not below the muscle.  In my practice, I use Accolate, an asthma medicine, to decrease capsular contracture, and I have a very good track record for treating and curing capsular contracture if we begin treatment within the first six months. 

That having been said, the question whether you do or don't have a capsular contracture is best defined during a physical exam by your plastic surgeon.  If you don't have a capsular contracture, the asymmetry may be due to pre operative asymmetry which is often exaggerated by breast augmentation.  If you do have a capsular contracture, ask your plastic surgoen about the suggestion that I made about Accolate.

Breast augmentation asymmetry

Asymmetry after breast augmentation can sometimes be corrected without surgery.  I instruct my patients on breast capsule massage and in my personal experience that can often correct subtle asymmetries.

Speak with your doctor about other recommendations.  you may require re-operation if it is truly an early capsular contracture which may have many different causes including:

1. sub-clinical infection
  2. foreign body reaction (sterile talc or lint creating inflammation)
  3. implant rupture (silicone)
  4. excess blood around the implant

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Concerns about breast asymmetries and capsular contracture 4 weeks post breast augmentation

You did have preoperative asymmetry which persists postoperatively as expected. At four weeks, though, you are still too early to see the more "final" outcome. 

As regards capsular contracture, it is highly unlikely that you have this at this early stage. A physical examination by your plastic surgeon can better determine this.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD