2 weeks post op of Breast Augmentation, my areola area & nipple became super sensitive & kinda burns. Is this normal?

I'm two weeks post op and love my boobs! I love the shape, I love the size! My doctor said that they were no longer swollen, however they did get a little smaller than the first week! I was wondering if they are still going to shrink and if so how much? I don't want them to :( Also, sometime after a week post op my areola area and nipples became super sensitive and kinda burn! Is this normal? 325cc saline filled to 350cc over the muscle.

Breast Augmentation Recovery

What you are describing all sounds very normal. I will typically tell my patients that after breast augmentation they may have pain for a day or two, soreness for a week or two, and it will take 2 to 3 months for their breasts to achieve their final shape and feel "back to normal". During the first week, the swelling and surgery may have actually caused your nipples and Ariel was to be relatively no. Now that those nerves are waking back up as the swelling goes down you can experience a number of sensations which are normal. My patients have described this feeling as itching, burning, hot, cold, tickling, you name it. So that is normal and you should not be concerned. Over time your nipple sensation should be expected to normalize.As the swelling go down your breasts will drop and you may perceive them as decreasing in size. Unfortunately this process is most likely still happening in you. You can take two or three months for your breasts to settle into their final shape. Many patients will express a desire to have chosen a slightly larger implant once they undergo the process of recovery. You experience swelling, get used to it, and miss it when it's gone.

Sensitive nipples after augmentation

Thank you for your question. Hypersensitivity to the nipple or other breast regions is normal after surgery. The nerves may have been stretched and transiently down for the count. As they wake up, they want to let you know they are still there by over signalling their presence. Hence very sensitive nipples. Things typically do resolve with time. In the meantime, you can take two approaches. Compression or tape to minimize friction on the nipples. The other approach could be desensitization with over stimulation (e.g. vibration).

Super sensitive nipples

Increased sensation (hyperesthesia) in the nipples and the surrounding areola following breast augmentation is not uncommon. After an implant is placed the surrounding breast tissue and skin stretch. This stretching can result in temporary alterations in the surrounding nerves . Very often this stretching of the nerves can result in increased feeling in the nipple and the surrounding areola which may be very uncomfortable. Very commonly patients complain of discomfort with light touch such as their clothing rubbing on the area. Many patients cover the nipple and the surrounding area some type of bandage to prevent the discomfort. As the breast heals and swelling diminishes the nerves recover and normal feeling returns. Recovery is usually complete within 3 months rarely however it might take up to 6 months. Usually the final shape of the breast after augmentation is realized at 4-5 months.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Super Sensitive Nipples!

Dear Steeeefffy,
Thank you for your post. In general, most women who have a disturbance in nipple sensation, whether it be less (hypo-sensation), or in some cases too much (hyper-sensation), the sensation goes back to normal with 3-6 months. Occasionally, it can take 1 - 2 years to be normal. Extremely rare, the sensation never goes back to normal. This is extremely rare in augmentation alone, more common in lift or reduction but less with a smaller lift like a crescent lift. Signs that sensation is coming back are needle type sensation at the nipple, itchiness at the nipple, or 'zingers' to the nipple. The number of women that lose sensation is much lower than 10%, closer to 1% in a simple augmentation. In some cases the same occurs with contraction where some women have no contraction and some women have a constant contraction of the nipples. Unfortunately there is no surgical correction for this. Massaging the area can help sensation normalize faster if it is going to normalize, but will not help if the nerve does not recover. In women with hyper-sensitive nipples, this will go away with time in most cases. Usually 3 months or so. In the interim, I have them wear nipple covers or 'pasties' to protect them from rubbing. It is unlikely that down-sizing the implant will cause regaining sensation. Down-sizing the implant may cause saggy breasts, however, and may necessitate a breast lift. Physical therapy with de-sensitivity techniques can help with this issue.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure; based on your description, it is likely that you will be pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed. The hypersensitivity of the nipple/areola complexes that you describe is quite common and self limited;  these concerns generally improve over the course of several weeks/months.   Occasionally (rarely), I have seen hypersensitivity issues persists for close to one year.  Best wishes.

Nipple sensitivity after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question about breast augmentation.

Swelling subsides over 6 weeks so your breast shape will change over that time.
Hypersensitivity of the nipples is normal but also subsides with healing. Best wishes.

Nipple & areola are super sensitive & kinda burns. Is this normal?

Yes. This is normal. This usually occurs because the nerves to these tissues are put on stretch from the implant. The nerves are essentially misfiring, giving these sensations. I tell my patients to expect this along with some sharp or shooting pains coming in from the side. This typically settles down within a week. I recommend telling your surgeon so you both can stay on top of this. Sometimes massage will help by overstimulating the nerve and causing it to fatigue and stop firing and sending the pain impulses. Good luck

Eric Desman, MD
Alexandria Plastic Surgeon

Overly sensitive Nipples can be a temporary byproduct of breast augmentation.

Patients with excess sensitivity of the nipples after breast augmentation can expect to see this improve over several weeks to months following the operation.

Nipples become sensitive for a little while are breast augmentation

What you are describing is normal.  The nipples swell after breast augmentation.  This swelling causes the nipples to rub on clothing more and they can get a little irritated.  It lasts maybe a week or two.  By moisturizing or wearing a nipple pad over the area the rubbing will stop and the burning pain will resolve.  Sometimes the nerves to the nipple are stretched and irritated from the surgery.  If this is the case it also will likely resolve after a few weeks.  Talk to your plastic surgeon if you are concerned.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensitivity is not uncommon early after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  The nipple sensitivity that you are experiencing is not uncommon after breast augmentation.  This sensitivity and burning of the nipple should resolve in the next week or so.

Swelling of the areola and nipple is common the first few weeks after breast augmentation.  I would not worry about the nipple areola becoming too small if anything breast augmentation over a period of 6 months to a year can slightly increase the size of the nipple areola.