I'm 2 Weeks and 1 Day Post Op Now After Gynecomastia Surgery?

It is normal the outside of my areola is hard and some soft?

Firmness Under Areola After Gynecomastia Surgery

Brian, This is an excellent question.  You didn't tell us if you just had liposuction or if you had liposuction with gland excision.  In either case, firmness under areola at this stage would indicate Organized Swelling.  This is a term my friend, Andy Kaczynski, M.D. of Sacramento, has coined to identify pre scar.  In my practice, we treat this organized swelling with ultrasound (the kind physical therapists use for sore muscles).  It converts sound energy into heat which increases the blood supply to the area and removes nonviable tissue.  It also acts like a sifter in the kitchen to level any fat cells which have temporarily lost their moorings, giving you a flat bed of fat cells.  A second plastic surgical technique I would use here is DMSO which will also take down much of the swelling since it is the world's best anti-inflammatory. 

In direct answer to your question, yes, it is normal to have soft and hard spots at this stage after gynecomastia surgery. 

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia swelling

I assume by this time you have been reassured by your doctor that it is still very early to make any evaluations. two weeks is barely the end of the initial swelling phase. Give it a little time and my guess is you will do fine.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon