3 Weeks After Gynecomestia Surgery. Scared for Chest Indentation and Why is my Left Chest Stil Swollen? (photo)

July 23 I had my gynecomestia surgery(I am from the Netherlands) and upcomming monday(3 weeks later) I will go to the hospital so the docter will take a look.(I think the stitches will be removed). I am a bit scared that I had a bad gynecomestia surgery and my chest wont recover as I expected it would. Therefore I hope that I could get good feedback. I have worn my recovery corset 24/7 exept when I take a shower. Do I have a sunken chest and why is my left chest stil swollen(yellow) Thank you.

After gynecomastia surgery, why is my left chest swollen and different from my right?

Hi MisterKevin, Thanks for your question and photos. You have a hematoma or a collection of blood. Your nipples are still a bit large but should shrink over time.  You seem to have scarred well so fa but the stern strips are still in place. The left breast should have had the collection of blood removed as it could lead to more scarring. Please see your plastic surgeon to make sure that it can be drained now or just wait until your body absorbs it on its own but the scar tissue may be excessive. Good Luck!   All the best, Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS #Gynecomastia    #Hematoma Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Healing & Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery.
Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

3 Weeks After Gynecomestia Surgery. Why is my Left Chest Stil Swollen

It appears that you have had some bleeding on the left side and now have a hematoma (collection of blood) under the chest skin. If your follow up is a ways out, call your surgeon, and you should get an earlier appointment for evaluation to consider draining the hematoma. Once that is done, although the left side will be more swollen for a while, you should expect a nice result, as if nothing untoward had occurred. 

Thanks, and best wishes.

3 Weeks After Gynecomestia Surgery. Scared for Chest Indentation and Why is my Left Chest Stil Swollen?

I also see a very acceptable result on your right breast. But the left in my photo interpretation see a resolving HEMATOMA! I believe you needed to be drained earlier than these 3 weeks. Best to you on the next followup visit. 

Hello

From the picture you have posted you cannot see any indentation. To give you an adequate explanation, I would have to exam you. You can see that you bleed more on the left side. Each side of our body heals on a different rate. It’s too early to see the final results, give your body 6-9 months to see final results. Everything looks to be normal. You should get a follow up with your PS and review your concerns.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)