Is this normal? Can someone tell me what's going on with my scar on my right breast after reduction? (Photo)

I had my breast reduction 10/23/15, so I'm just a little over a month post op. Everything has gone pretty well until the last few days. Where my "anchor" connects, the skin looks like it's stretching & is rather red & itches like crazy. Both breasts are itching beyond my control actually. Can someone look at the pic & see if it's anything concerning? It feels like a stabbing paid when I move, but like a needle almost. & there aren't any stitches poking through in the area. Really uncomfortable!

Scar issue

It looks like your scar is stretching a bit. At this point in time, scars can be itchy do to dryness, and fairly thick. Best to get scar care instructions from your surgeon.

Recovery

As long as the area isn't warm or hot, which could be a sign of infection, this looks to be normal healing. As nerve sensation returns, itching and discomfort are common. Especially at that juncture. Speak with your surgeon as to what can be done to alleviate symptoms. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Healing differs in each individual

Although it is difficult to tell , the healing appears normal.  However, if you are having a lot of itching,or you are concerned about the healing, it is best to contact your surgeon.  Some itching is not unusual, but a great deal of itching can signal either allergic reaction to something you are putting on the wound, or an overactive healing process which can precede a hypertrophic scar.  See your doctor for his expertise.

Michael Olding, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Is this normal? Can someone tell me what's going on with my scar on my right breast after reduction?

Only 1 month postop! Appears as early scar forming in a normal wound healing event. Best to have more follow up with your surgeon to discuss this....

Pain in scars

From the photos you have included, it's difficult to tell what's going on. As nerves wake up for having been either stretched or severed near the skin can give you these symptoms. A spitting suture even though not palpable yet can likewise cause itching and burning. Most of what you have described happens during the early phases of healing. Sometimes topical Benadryl may help. Consult with your operating plastic surgeon. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Scar itching after breast reduction surgery

It is not uncommon to feel scar itching and discomfort as the body produces new collagen and elastin fibers.  This is further aggravated by the return of normal sensation--i.e., nerve endings that were cut at the time of surgery are starting to recover. 

As long as the itching does not come with heat and pain, two symptoms associated with infection, you may consider numbing the area with icepacks, which should not be used for more than 10 minutes at a time to avoid cold burns and blisters.  Other possible solutions include moisturizing ingredients like silicone gel and tapes, antihistamines, and topical steroids. 

However, the best solution would come from your PS who will examine the scar and see if there is no sign of infection. 

I hope that helps and good luck. 

Painful scars

The inflammatory phase of wound healing can be associated with pain and itching.  Often steroids, antihistamines, and scar therapy can be helpful.

John Burns, MD