Why do you think the results didn't match my simulation? Is it still an improvement? THANK YOU! (Photos)

Rhinoplasty simulation

Thank you for your question and photos. The simulation is a communication tool to help the surgeon and the patient discuss the expectation of surgery. The surgeon has to use their judgment when doing the simulation to not draw a perfect nose but rather draw what is possible to do. Depending when your surgery was, the tip area may still be swollen and potentially can come down a little more. Good luck.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Computer imaging

Surgeons use the computer imaging systems to discuss ideal surgical goals and express what results are reasonable to expect. It is a communication tool only. All patients should understand that what is created in a computer simulation is not a guarantee of actual surgical results. In your case, it is an improvement from your preoperative photo although you didn't reveal how far out from surgery you are now. Remember that the final results of a rhinoplasty may not be present for a year. Best of luck to you.

R. Graham Boyce, MD
Covington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Simulation for rhinoplasty

The simulation of a rhinoplasty by a computer can never be accomplished a 100% and is only an approximation. 

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Simulation

A simulation is only that, a potential for what may be achieved. Unfortunately, it is not a guarantee because one can not account for how tissues might respond to the various maneuvers.

Rhinoplasty results

1.  The computer simulator is an extremely useful tool for planning surgery. But the results can't be guaranteed. It's simply a goal for surgery. Uncommon underlying structures and swelling can influence your result. 

2.  From your previous question , you are only 3 months out from surgery and it is still early. I would discuss with your surgeon about a small steroid injection in the supratip area, as this might bring down the tip swelling and make your profile  similar to to the simulated image. 

Samir Undavia, MD
Princeton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Limitations of simulations

One of the reasons I do not offer computer simulations is that they are not a guarantee of results, and often give patients false expectations. It is difficult to answer your question without knowing more about when your surgery was and what was done. This question would be better reserved for your surgeon.