Can an infection cause the crown to be faulty?

I've been having pain on my upper molar for a few days. Dentist tells me I have an infection underneath a crown that needs complete replacement. He didn't mention type of infection or how serious but immediately set up appt with endodontist. All together I would be charged close to $3,000 for this one tooth. I just cant understand how a crown could cost this much let alone why they need to replace the crown? Can an infection cause the crown to be faulty? Should I get a second opinion?

Decay under crown

Based on your description, it sounds like you have decay developing underneath the crown. This can happen if you have food getting stuck in that area repeatedly or if you do not floss the teeth often. Once the decay spreads under the crown it infects the tooth, which eventually leads to tooth pain. The only way to remove the infection from the tooth is by root canal treatment. Root canal treatment removes the infected nerves but does not remove the decayed tooth structure. In order to remove the decayed part of the tooth, the old crown needs to be removed, the decay needs to be cleaned out, and then a new crown needs to be made. If the root canal is done but the crown is not replaced, it can lead to spread of decay and eventual failure of the root canal due to reinfection. 

Infection in Crown

It is possible that infection can make your crown faulty but you should consult to some other dentist also before going for the treatment.

Shahin Safarian, DMD
San Diego Dentist