After 3 treatments, could repeated malfunctioning PDL laser equip. be the cause of no improvement in moderate rosacea redness?

First treatment went fine and had mild swelling under eyes afterwards. During 2nd & 3rd treatments the laser equipment kept overheating and Dr. had to repeatedly stop, allow it to cool, enter new settings and restart. I had no swelling after those treatments and no discomfort during any of the treatments. Dr has said she doesn't recommend any more treatments and said I am no longer a candidate. I have had zero improvement in redness and flushing. I think its due to faulty equipment but dr. says no.

Multiple ways to treat rosacea- lasers vs medical treatment

Rosacea is very complex and a tailored treatment program give the best results. This is because there are many types of rosacea (telengtctatic or capillaries, flushing and redness, acne like rosacea, ocular rosacea and even rhinophyma rosacea.)

To add to the complexity, everyone has different flare factors- Sunlight, stress, foods, chemical irritants, creams, changes in temperature, alcohol. The list goes on.

A detailed history, together with a treatment tailored according to YOUR type of rosacea will give the best results. As a guide, I use a combination of -

1. Lasers ( to treat redness, broken capillaries, rhinophyma, flushing)- best laser is the V BEAM. IPL can be used, but usually not as effective. I really can not comment on your treatments with V Beam as I don't have the settings, nor do we have a picture of your skin. Some patients paradoxically respond better to IPL

2. Creams - anti inflammatory

3. Tablets -anti - inflammatory and sometimes low dose Vitamin A.

4. For females- Mineral make up is recommend, over make up that contains parabens.

For the best results, consult a dermatologist for both medical and laser treatment options.

Kind regards

Dr Davin S. Lim
Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia.

Rosacea laser treatments...

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend seeking a second opinion, a correctly functioning and properly set pulsed dye laser (VBeam) should be effective and show results for redness due to Rosacea.  Although the PDL has recently been surpassed by the Excel V for reds in terms of efficacy, safety, and time to treat the PDL is still an effective laser.  Please seek out a board certified Dermatologist who has experience with the VBeam (most Derms have experience during residency) and the Excel V for further evaluation and management.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon