Am I too old now to fix my breasts? I'm 53

How can insurance cover this or would it. The right one is very much larger than the left one.

No, you are never too old to look your best! If your health is good, and you have realistic expectations- you're prob a good candidate. As far as insurance goes- that'll depend on your policy and a reason your surgery. Most policies do not cover cosmetic surgery procedures. if it's congenital or reconstructive- you might have a chance

Never too old

No, you are never too old to look the way that you want to look. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below) to discuss your options. Whether or not your insurance will cover it will depend on your condition and your insurance. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Not too old!

If you’re relatively healthy physically and psychologically, then 53 isn’t too old at all! I’ve had several patients in their 50s and 60s who safely achieved beautiful results. As for insurance, it might be difficult or impossible to have your procedure covered unless it is deemed medically necessary. However, if you just wish to correct asymmetry for an aesthetic improvement, then chances are insurance won’t cover your surgery. Of course, you can always ask your provider, though.

53 years young

Your age is not an issue as long as you are in good health to undergo general anesthesia. Your primary physician will give you the answer to this question. As for insurance coverage...asymmetry is considered cosmetic and therefore 'unnecessary' in their eyes. My guess is that you will need a reduction with lift on the larger breast and a lift on the smaller breast. I hope this helps.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

53 and implants

Insurance will not cover an implant issue that was cosmetic. Best to go for a consultation to be properly evaluated.

You are never too old to look good

Age of patient has little to do with desire to look good. You can have your breast surgery anytime. Cosmetic surgery cost is borne by the patient. Insurances do not and should not cover cosmetic surgery.

Vasdev Rai, MD

If you are in good health, then you are not too old for a cosmetic breast procedure. I have a few patients in their seventies having breast procedures. Good luck!

Am I too old to fix my breasts

Thank you for your question. You are not too old and age is not a contraindication for surgery. General health is more important and please consult a board certified PS for your evaluation

Too old?

There are no absolute age cut offs after which you cannot have plastic surgery. If your general health is good you may be able to have plastic surgery. Your condition may or may not be covered by insurance depending on how large the size difference is. If you right side is big enough that it falls under the requirements for a breast reduction, then there is a chance that insurance will cover it. More commonly, this is not covered by insurance because there is not that great of a difference and it is considered cosmetic surgery.

Am I too old for breast surgery at 53 and will insurance cover it?

The only reason one is too old for cosmetic surgery is if they are not medically healthy for it or they no longer care about their appearance. As people are living longer and have better overall health-  The age limits for plastic surgery have risen. 
As far as insurance plans, most do not cover breast procedures even asymmetries. 
I hope that answered your questions.

Ryan Hoffman, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon