Belly button issues. Is there anything I can do? (Photo)

I am 7 weeks post op, tummy tuck. I'm told my belly button will be normal, but it's looking kind of not normal.... Like more of a line, than a circle. I have quite a bit of swelling still but is there anything I can do, or something I'm missing? I see some people use gauze in theirs, I've done nothing except wear undergarment and use my scar therapy....

Belly button issues. Is there anything I can do?

This is not a bad belly button scar, and as my colleagues have replied, things will change over additional time.

What you are noting, however, is due to the way your surgeon created the new opening for your existing belly button. In other words, the "design" of the belly button caused the appearance you have. This is an important aesthetic area, and you should be glad your surgeon did not give you the all-too-common "bulls-eye" scar, or the circle around the belly button. Your surgeon chose a vertical oval, or perhaps a vertical slit, and this is how they look at this point in your healing.

I don't like vertical slits either, and if this doesn't heal the way you like over 6 months or so, it can easily be revised under local anesthesia and made wider. For now, do nothing but be patient and glad you don't have the dreaded bulls-eye! Best regards, Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button Shape

Seven weeks is quite early in the healing of your Tummy Tuck. The shape of you belly button should widen over time. But we seldom try to make a round belly button, we try to create an oval with the scar within the belly button. 
If this shape persists, rounding the belly button can be done with a simple in office procedure. But I would wait at least six months before doing it. Your picture shows a very good result for seven weeks post-op. Be patient and talk to your surgeon.

Peter D. Geldner, MD

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  At seven weeks after surgery, and with continued tissue swelling, your final belly button results are still being masked and will improve as your healing matures. In most instances a slightly oval shape to the belly button is a sign of youthfulness and your belly button looks good for this stage of healing.  Hang in there!

Belly button

7 weeks is early in your post operative recovery. You may find that the appearance of your belly button will change significantly over the next 3 to 6 months. It is really too early to judge the final result. At this stage there is no specific thing you should do to affect the final result. Scar treatment such as silicone gel may help the scar to mature more quickly. 
You may be better off focusing on the wide variety of normal belly button shapes rather than being too proscriptive as to what you want. Having said that if ultimately you do not like the shape you could consider discussing it with a suitably trained and qualified plastic surgeon.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon