Can a maxillofacial surgeon with the use of Botox to shrink muscles on a wide jaw of a person's face?

If so, how long does one application last? What is the cost of each application?

Botox for the masseter

Thank you for your question jothaple1. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. In the lower face Botox can be placed in the masseter to contour the lower face. Most people enjoy the results of Botox for 3-4 months. But in this area, especially with repeated treatments, some people enjoy the results for longer, 6-9 months. Pricing varies from region to region and office to office. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox and shrinking the jaw

One of the best ways to "shrink" the jaw non-surgically is through Botox in the massester muscle. Please find an expert in this advanced technique.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox can be used to improve face shape

I use Botox injections to shrink the masseter muscles and narrow the angle of the jaw area.  It's works best if you commit to doing the treatments every three months.  I start with 20 units per side.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Botox to shrink muscles on a wide jaw of a person's face?

Hi, I have used Botox and or the other neurotoxins for over 30 years to reduce unwanted lines, wrinkles and hypertrophied muscles like the Masseter.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  An enlarged Masseter can be reduced with Botox injection but this may or may not have the desired aesthetic affect.  I typically use 30 - 50 units per side at a cost of $10 per unit.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look ruggedly handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  Women, on the other hand, look the most feminine and attractive with heart shaped faces that are created with cheeks that are full and round in the front feminizing the entire face.

Hope this helps.

Botox on Jawline

you can use botox on the jaw this gives a subtle change in the shape of the face.  I suggest going to an expert for treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

If the wide jaw is accentuated by large Masseter muscles, Botox is commonly used to help decrease the size of the muscles and the apparent width of the jaw.  The amount of Botox required usually ranges from 15 to 30 Units per side.  The results can last up to 6 months or more.  The cost of Botox can vary, but in the Bay Area can run between $10 to $15 per unit.  Seek out a doctor who routinely performs Botox injections.  Best wishes, Dr Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Botox in masseter

Thank you for your question. Botox in the masseter region usually takes longer than in the standard areas to take effect. I tend to use anywhere from 15 units (conservative treatment) to 50 units (for someone with really strong masseters) on each side to get the desired result. It may start within the first week but I tell my patients to wait three weeks before doing a more thorough evaluation. The treatment typically lasts longer than the forehead/crows feet/frown regions. It is also a gradual onset of the return of masseter function. I have tried the masseter injections myself and space the treatments around 4 months apart, but use smaller doses to maintain the effect. I normally know the effects are wearing down when I start to clench my teeth more heavily at night when asleep.

Botox to narrow jawline

Excellent question.  In the right patient Botox injected into the lower aspect of the master muscle can narrow the lower third of the face.  I tell patients to expect to require two treatments spaced 3 months apart to see the expected results.  However, many patients see results a few months after the first treatment.  The reason it takes months to see results is the mechanism by which Botox works to narrow the jaw.  Botox paralyzes, or at least weakens, the master muscle preventing maximum contraction.  The less you use a muscle the weaker, and smaller it gets, but this takes time.  So over the first few months the muscle gradually diminishes in size.  You must continue treatment every 3-5 months once you see the desired affect in order to maintain the results.  

Cody Koch

Cody A. Koch, MD, PhD
Des Moines Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox can help shrink the jawline

Botox can be placed into the masseter muscle to "shrink" a wide jaw.
It has to be balanced so your bite is not altered.
Usually the jaw is widened in the lower aspect of the masseter muscle and some small doses in the lower area can specifically reduce the most cosmetic area.
With larger muscles or in certain Asian patients, larger and more complete shrinkage of the masseter muscle is necessary with more Botox.
See a physician with experience in this area as the treatment has to be tailored to your specific anatomy.
The injections last 4 to 5 months.

Masseter muscle reduction with Botox

The answer to your question is yes, a maxillofacial surgeon or anyone who has expertise in masseter muscle reduction with Botox can offer this treatment.

Typically, this requires large amounts of Botox injected regularly, every 3-4 months or so, to give you the desired cosmetic effect.

Dr Karamanoukian