I am pregnant now, I want to have a tummy tuck on the same day I give birth. Is that safe?

I am 37 and want a tummy tuck and also tie my tubed. Is that too much surgery on the same day I have the baby?

Post-Baby Tummy Tuck

A typical full abdominoplasty is performed after patients are done bearing children or after moderate weight loss. It can be a powerful procedure that can flatten and remove excess skin from both above and below the belly button and tighten the abdominal muscles. The trade off is a scar in the bikini line that extends hip to hip and a scar around the belly button. Ideal candidates are patients at or near their ideal weight with nothing but loose skin and, possibly, stretched abdominal muscles to repair.  Immediately after giving birth, most patients have extra weight from the uterus and pregnancy weight gain that interferes with the tightening of the abdomen and achieving a good result. Although technically possible, it is recommended to wait until your body is back to its pre-baby shape before considering surgery to correct any lingering contour issues. See the link below for more details on the surgery.  A detailed examination will help delineate the best option. A Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Not safe

It’s not a good idea to get a tummy tuck right after you give birth. This is because your body needs to recover from the many changes that it goes through with pregnancy and childbirth. I recommend waiting a minimum of 6 months after you give birth, or 6 months after you stop breastfeeding, before you consider a tummy tuck.

Tummy tuck

You can have your tubes tied the same day as delivery- but absolutely not a tummy tuck.
Your body needs to get back to normal which takes several months after pregnancy- swollen uterus, belly, lose weight, hormones, etc. A tummy tuck same day will not give good results.

TT on day of giving birth

TT should not be performed on the day you deliver as your abdomen is swollen and distended from the pregnancy. You should wait at least 3-4 months for the swelling and weight and tightening to occur otherwise you will not see a good result and complications can occur.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon