Is Prp for hair loss effective for a woman even if the hair loss maybe (hoping) a temporary problem like low iron? (photo)

I am a 39 year old woman who's just noticed my scalp! My hair is drastically thinning. I've checked hormones, Iron is low so I'm on top of that big time :) and this condition does not run in my family. I've been using Careprost on my scalp and thinking about PRP as the results seem great, the cost is steep and wanted to ask Doctors if you recommend this treatment if it's possible (hoping) the hair loss is temporary?

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride, Spironolactone

I suggest seeing an expert to evaluate your hair loss and start non invasive options like PRP/progesterone or consider transplantation. I frequently treat women with hair loss using PRP/progesterone and see amazing results with no side effects. We do one treatment once a month and reassess after 6 months. Best, Dr. Emer.

Hair Loss

Depending upon candidacy there are several efficacious hair loss treatments available. We offer non surgical PRP, or platelet rich plasma injections which have the potential to increase hair growth by stimulating the hair follicles in both male and females, Capillus laser therapy which can increase hair volume by up to 20% while preventing future hair loss. We also offer a variety or topicals and supplements. My goal as a hair restoration surgeon is to work closely with my patients to determine what is causing their hair loss and what is best treatment option for their individual need and long term goals so I would recommend an in person exam.

Dr. Kathleen Morno 

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

PRP for Hair loss

Thanks for your question. You would be a great candidate for PRP for hair loss and yes it "really works". Not all PRP systems are equal so it would be good to ask them what system they use to prepare the PRP- some of the better ones are PurePRP II, Harvest Technologies, Magellan...
Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

PRP for low iron hair loss? ENGLEWOOD Cliffs NJ

In my opinion, you need to be evaluated by a hair expert. They will do a good history, magnification exam, blood work or review of blood work and possibly a biopsy. If indeed your hair loss is due to a low iron, it may precipitate an acute hair loss called telogen effluvium. As of now, PRP is not known to be effective for telogen effluvium type hair loss. I suggest that your hair loss expert determine if you have telogen effluvium. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon