I had a breast reduction completed a little over 5 weeks ago; size isn't what I wanted. What do I do? (Photos)

I had a breast reduction completed a little over 5 weeks ago. I was a 36H/I and I asked my surgeon to get me as close to a small C as possible. I went in last week for my 4 week post-op and I asked him if I was the size that I should expect to be from this point on. He stated yes. I took my measurements the night before my appointment and I was measuring at a 36E. When I informed my surgeon of this, he measured me and said, "Hey, its better than where you were." What should I do?

Breast reduction

When a patient starts out very large, it is difficult to reduce them to a very small size given that one needs to maintain a certain amount of tissue on the skin flaps and pedicle for the tissues to survive. Best to give it more time to settle as well.

I had a breast reduction completed a little over 5 weeks ago; size isn't what I wanted. What do I do?

It takes 6 months to see the final result. It is also impossible to predict final breast size as each bra company has different sizes. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Still too big after breast reduction surgery…

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast reduction surgery.  With all due respect to your surgeon, I would disagree: final results after breast surgery, including breast reduction surgery, are not seen for several months (and even up to one year) after the procedure was performed.  Therefore, best to continue to exercise patience.

I would suggest also that you do not evaluate  the outcome of the procedure performed based on specific cup size achieved;  as you know this can be arbitrary.

Having said the above, if in the longer term, you remain displeased with your breast size, additional breast reduction surgery may be indicated.

For the benefit of patients seeking breast reduction surgery in the future:  careful preoperative communication is one of the keys to success with any type of breast surgery.   With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  The use of computer imaging is also becoming more helpful when it comes to the communication process.

For example, I have found that the use of words such as “ proportionate” or “C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.  Again, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.